Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Lamisil

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
A girlfriend of mine has axolotls infected with chytrid. Her vet prescribed lamisil for the surviving animals. When she went to pick up the stuff, though, the woman at the counter was very rude and said "I don't know anything about fish" so we have this question: Is this medicine for the amphibians only or should the fish be treated with it, too?

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
As with any chytrid treatment, you will need to completely strip and dry out/disinfect the whole aquarium, as otherwise the axolotls will just be reinfected when they go back in. Have the axolotls been swabbed for chytrid? They are usually asymptomatic and other fungi could be implicated if the vet is just going from physical signs.

It is better to house an axolotl without fish, any way (they will damage the salamanders' gills and may get eaten in return - axies come from naturally fishless waters). Fish probably don't carry chytrid, but you will reinfect tanks just by moving water with fish on the animal and on nets etc, so they will need to be treated somehow. I don't know if it is safe to use Lamisil on fish, however, so that's something to ask the vet.

I can't stress enough the importance of disinfecting everything between lamisil treatments to avoid reinfection. This means the enclosure, the treatment container, equipment and hands in such a way that you don't track chytrid back to the animals after their bath. It would probably be a good idea to make up a water butt or similar of usable, uninfected tank water as you will need to do 100% water changes and tank sterilisation between treatments. Remember, your filter will also need to be sterilised.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1