Laotriton laoensis

Opacum

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Carlo
That's great, Dawn. I'm sure many here are waiting with baited breath. Best of success with them. ;)

Opacum

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Carlo
MAJORLY impressive beasties! Love 'em! Thanks for the pics! Too cool! :D

walte230

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Amblystoma
These appear to be in tremendously good condition. Keep it up : )

Caudata breeder

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I was reading in the beginning of this post (way back in 2011...) that laoensis are difficult to keep and breed? I have to reply and say that I have found them to be very easy going, low maintenance, hardy, beautiful and easy to keep and breed.

I have 10 of them acquired from FrogOeyes in 2011, and although I had never heard of them before, it was easy to do some research to reproduce their environment. They have bred and layed eggs every year, and this year they are in full breeding colors and mating again. I expect eggs within the next few weeks.

The one difficulty I have had with them was in raising the larvae. Both years that I have hatched larvae, I have reared them to aproximately 1 inch before deadly fuungal infections that quickly spread and killed the whole lot. This year I have 1 sole surviving larvae that is 1.5 inches, no sign of wanting to metamorphose yet.

I am hoping that this next batch will do better as I want not only to increase my stock, but also provide captive born animals for sale.

Overall, my experience with these newts has been fantastic. I would rate them as a beginner to intermediate level newt keeper and they will do well with a slow current, lots of filtration, and a cool location such as a basement.

They are voracious eaters, non-agressive, and very active.

Best year round water temperature: 18^C
Cycle for breeding for 6-8 weeks: 10-14^C (I have them in a bedroom in the basement and I just crack the window open a bit)
They start showing breeding displays in December(ish)
Eggs are layed in January
Eggs take 6-8 weeks to hatch. Best to place them in a separate secure container that can circulate water and keep it in with the adult tank. This seems to prevent fungus growth.
Larvae will feed after 1 week of hatching on baby brine shrimp, later they will also take daphnia.

This is as far as I can tell you. Next year I will try and raise the larvae in the same tank as the adults in a separate container, as this seems to work for the eggs in terms of fungal infections. In both cases that I lost the young to fungal infections was several months after removing them from the adult tank.

Will keep you posted if I succeed next year.

paul_b

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Display Name
Paul Bachhausen
AW: Laotriton laoensis

Hello,
that is what I said - no problem in keeping (I did not lose one juvenile or adult in 8 years), but difficult in rising the larvae up to metamorphosis!
Look here:
AG Urodela
But I keep them at higher temperatures.
Paul

Henry Janssen

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I bred Laotriton laoensis for the first time in the winter of 2006. In total 213 larvae hatched. I fed them with live Daphnia taken from different locations in my area and once with some I bought in a tropical fish shop. Each time with the same result : some of the larvae got infected with fungus and died. Typically the first outbreaks were visible on the gills, the digits of fore- and hind- limbs, on the tail fringes and around the mouth and the cloaca. In the end, in spite of frequent water changes only 4 made it trough metamotphosis. All others died from fungal infection at some stage in their development.

I had noticed that any dead Daphnia were covered in a cloud of fungus threads only hours after their death. I suspected the Daphnia to be the carrier of the fungus spores. Cultures of swaps taken from infected larvae were identified as an undiscribed Saprolegnia sp. at Ghent University.

The following year I again fed one group of larvae with Daphnia. All these died from fungal infection. For another group I avoided any direct or indirect contact with Daphnia and fed those with small red mosquito – larvae instead. In that group not one single Laotriton – larva got infected with Saprolegnia. Instead they grew well and metamorposed without any problem. These tests confirmed my idea that the Daphnia I captured locally were the carriers of the fungal infection that killed the Laotriton – larvae. I have not used them as food since.

I have no means of knowing wether Daphnia elswhere are carriers of fungal infections or not. But when your newt-larvae are dying from such a fungal infection while you are feeding them on Daphnia, a change of diet, without Daphnia, might be helpfull.

Niels D

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I've used your method with blood worms and it worked well for me. I know for a fact that when I feed my T.verrucosus offspring Daphnia I will loose them all, but there are other keepers which can use Daphnia as food item without any problem. Perhaps it's due to the location where the Daphnia is gathered and which species you're feeding your larvae.

I don't feed Daphnia anymore. Instead I've got a good source of Diopsis and ostracods. For some reason there are no Daphnia to be found where I gather these crustaceans. After larvae get bigger I use tubifex and white worms from my own culture.

NathanKS

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Nathan KS
my hatchlings feed great on brine shrimp, black/blood worms, and CB mosquito larvae

velasco13000

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Ezequiel Velasco
At what temps did you keep them paul? I have a juvenile...he eats but not as much as I would like..the temp is like 70 F...

NathanKS

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Nathan KS
At what temps did you keep them paul? I have a juvenile...he eats but not as much as I would like..the temp is like 70 F...
im not paul, but will still butt in.

is it like 70 or 70?
as everyone in this thread has lamented the care of hatchlings to juvenile laotriton is a challenge mostly because of their care requirements.

In my experience a temperature over 72 (22c) degrees for a prolonged period of time can lead to greatly stressed animals that refuse food or eat poorly. The temperature of the room i keep my newts is never allowed to go above 70 and ranges from 66-70 throughout the day (thermostat set with 2 degrees variance at 68)

velasco13000

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Ezequiel Velasco
When i said paul..I was asking paul up on the thread because he mentioned that he kept his at higher temperatures..I have two rooms...a newt room which is around 45-50 degrees..and my room which is like 70 degrees.I have a little temp gauge on the laos tub and its at 70 degrees exactly..I feed him blackworms on a wet paper towel and he eats like every other day or every two days..thats probably normal though just that I haven't seen like a huge growth spurt like in the rest of the newts I have. Thats why I was trying to see if temp was a factor but I know he cant be any warmer than that.

NathanKS

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Nathan KS
Ive played around with my temps a bit and wasnt able to see a difference in growth spurt. I might be wrong but this species is rather slow growing IMO.

velasco13000

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Ezequiel Velasco
Anybody in the us still have adults?? I havnt heard of many people keeping adults.

Yahilles

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Display Name
Janusz Wierzbicki
Laotriton are the newts which mostly resemble a FASHION amongst newtkeepers. And this fashion seems to be decreasing.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Michael Shrom
I still have adults. I haven't collected eggs for a couple years but will give it a go again. It looks like their was only one import of these to the U.S. My guess is you won't see any more w.c. come in.

velasco13000

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Ezequiel Velasco
It's such a shame. These are a beautiful species. You guys should be breeding them every year. I know it's a bit harder seeing as they take years to mature. Like 5 or 6 years I hear. We have made such great progress with kaisers and strauchii and now that Jen is breeding crocatus. Laos is still one of my fav and it's great that none are being taken out of the wild. We just need to work with what we got. I am getting a nice size group of them. But they are not cheap. My intentions are to breed them and make them available to everybody. How big is the group?

NathanKS

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Nathan KS
I still have adults. I haven't collected eggs for a couple years but will give it a go again. It looks like their was only one import of these to the U.S. My guess is you won't see any more w.c. come in.
Yep, my former boss(steves) would agree with you that there was the single shipment of ~100 animals

Roygbiv

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello every one, I am new to the group and just wanted to say hello. I enjoyed the read and would love a bit more discussion. Is any one out there still breeding or working with them?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Lonewolf:
    Ok I’m new so I have a pink Axolotl and it’s a baby like two three max inches and it eats from the top and it has now been floating a while now should I be worried ?? The other one is at the bottom of the tank and the tail isint hoocked or the gills aren’t curved flowerd they seem relaxed
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lonewolf:
    ?? I’m new owner to the type of fish
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Lonewolf has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lanalotl:
    Hi I recently rescued a lotl (i did weeks of research before rescuing) Hes mabey 5 or 6 years of age..the previous owner could not remember the exact age of him. I got him from her as he was or had been picked on by his tank mate another lotl who was bough with him from every younger age, I noticed one of his gills, a middle one at the end had split in two? And is slightly more floppy? He also appears or mabey I'm just over worried to mabey have lost some feathers, is that normal to lose some?...all levels in the tank are fine, but wondered if theres and advice anyone could give me as an experienced owner to a new one.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Axolotl Queen:
    @Lanalotl Sounds like the gills may have been nipped by the tank mate. If he is in his own tank and the parameters etc are all good, then he should grow them back and they should go back to full health and strength. However, depending on how old the injury is they may not fully grow back if they have been constantly nipped at.
    +2
    Unlike
  • Smknmom421:
    Can anyone tell me why this is happening? We just did a water change and after freaking out and whipping around the tank, an hour later they look like this. It won't let me send a pic. The edges of their gills are white and it looks like they have skin shedding off
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    That sounds like severe skin damage. If you post a thread on the forum, you can attach pictures.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    It sounds like something went wrong with the water change, so this could be very dangerous. Did you use a dechlorinator? Could it be there are traces of chlorine or soap in the water? (Or for example, in the bucket you used?)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Normally, I would recommend taking them out of the tank asap and putting them in a tub with fresh water, but if there's something wrong with your tap water or dechlorinator, that might not help either. Do you have acces to bottled water or rain water?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Sal22:
    I think my axie is dying, he’s never had any issues before, I’ve had him 3 years, today I noticed some fluffy looking stuff coming from his genital area so I took him out of his tank and did a full tank clean to make sure the water wasn’t infected as I thought it was fungus and then I noticed he had a cut on his belly which was only small about 5 hours ago and now it’s spread to all of his belly, what do I do I’m freaking out
    +1
    Unlike
  • Sal22:
    Update about my axie, unfortunately he has died over night, he looked as if he was bruised allover his belly, his mucus layer had also started to come off.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Ganaa:
    Anyone here from DMV?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • AlexisJG:
    Hi I have 2 4in juveniles (I’ve had them about 2 weeks and they are doing well I think they’ve grown a little already honestly) but I am supposed to go on a 5-6 day vacation in October about 3-4 months from now. I am wondering how I should go about their care when I am gone. I thought about putting them in separate (fairly big) containers with live plants and/or bubblers with a fan in the dark and either fridging them (my last plan) but I am hoping to to either have someone I trust come feed them and turkey baste waste out or just leave them out and clean the containers before we leave and have someone come check on them once or twice. Does any of this sound like a good or bad idea? I want the best for them. All help appreciated :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Ganaa:
    @patrickstar116, do you still have your fire salamanders?
    +1
    Unlike
  • patrickstar116:
    @Ganaa, I do you may message me if you wish
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    hi.....
    +1
    Unlike
  • JDeslippe21:
    Hi, so I have 2 male axolotls and about an hour ago they were both perfectly fine and now only one of them has his tail curling up and his gills are slightly curled?? But other than that they’re both acting normally
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Could be he's just excited, spooked or temporarily stressed, which could pass in a few hours. It could also be an indicator of other problems. Do you have any recent water parameters?
    +1
    Unlike
  • AlexisJG:
    Does anyone have any idea how to help with high ammonia levels? I have the API freshwater master kit and everything else’s test results were great besides ammonia. I did a 50% water change and I use API products including ammonia lock.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MuggleMiChu:
    Help! I got my first axolotl two days ago and they have stopped eating. They ate a few frozen blood worms the first day and haven’t eaten or been interested in food since. I feed them frozen blood worms and the tank is around 64 degrees. I do have a filter that moves sometimes and I noticed them swimming up to it, I have a new filter and a fan coming today or tomorrow. I leave the worms in the tank or a little bit before taking them out so I don’t know if they ate when I wasn’t looking. I know it takes a while for them to digest. Does anyone have any tips or knowledge they can share? The pet store I bought them from didn’t have gravel or sand in the tank so I’m not sure if theres an issue or if I’m just impatient. Thank you!
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @MuggleMiChu, how big they are? also for substrate, i would not do gravel at all I would either do sand or none at all!
    +1
    Unlike
  • MuggleMiChu:
    They are about 2-3 inches long and I have them in a bare bottom tank
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @MuggleMiChu I would say try live black/blood worms untell they are full or just turn there head away ( that's what mine do) if that does not work try to get some live brine shrimp and see if they eat that. baby axolotl prefer live food over frozen food as the frozen food is too cold for them or they can't eat it in one go( that's if you do the blocks) mine eat chopped up frozen thawed shrimp. as for them not eating from what I have experienced with my second axolotl, I got her when she was about an inch long and she ate every day, when they start getting 3-4 inches long they will gradually slow down there eating. and if you really want to do substrate I would do sand because if they do ingest a little bit it won't hurt them.
    +1
    Unlike
    HalfDrunkToast: @MuggleMiChu I would say try live black/blood worms untell they are full or just turn there head... +1