Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Large caecilian or other rare amphibian

Putnam

Reaction score
H Was 16 yrs ago we found half a body of some kind of blind amphibian in the ditch behind our house that led into a swampy bay head. Was around 6 of us walking when we seen this thing lying next to the ditch. Creature consisted of a head with a tubular body, at least 6" caliber around and 2' of head and body found. Could not find rear of animal. It was black, no eyes, mouth full of good size sharp teeth, short barbels on chin. Only thing I can remember thinking was that it looked like a black version of the things that came out the mouths of the monsters in the movie (Tremors). This was located in Clay county Florida. I was only around 12 and one of the older boys in our group thought it would be funny to throw it in the pool of some old couple and that was the end of it. I am a avid outdoors man now and have researched all over and have not found anything that looks like it. I believe it to be some rare caecilian. I am going to see what I have to do to try and catch one. The land is all swamp they cannot build on so it was made a bird sanctuary. Any good info or thoughts are wanted. My belief is this thing had to be at least 5 ft long if not larger. This has bothered me for yrs now and I want closure or to add some light on something new.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe some horrible kind of eel? If it was dead, the eyes and toes are the first things to go, so maybe it wasn't blind when it was alive.

Ed

Reaction score
Not a caecilian as they don't have barbels on the chin... neither do the Amphiumas or Sirens... so I don't think it was any of the amphibian species but a species of fish instead...

Some comments

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!