Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Larva Salamander Identification Help!

KrabzAga

Reaction score
This larva is from Missouri and is 2 inches long. My top guesses are eastern newt, spotted salamander or marbled salamander. Help appreciated!

44C48B11-3DCA-485C-9F60-4D27DDCAF47A.jpeg
C5F3BB60-95DF-4593-BF89-6A3F7A6F837E.jpeg
71A461B9-09FF-49E5-9B8F-41D9DC126385.jpeg
CDBED769-1C78-4239-894F-55F86D40C5B5.jpeg
image.jpg

NewtsAtTen

Reaction score
Disclaimer: NOT AN EXPERT!

If you're looking for a second opinion; out of the three, I'd say spotted. Could be marbled? Don't THINK Eastern, just on the basis of the patterning? Hard to kind of see the tail patterning exactly, but marbled seems to be a bit more... regular?

I could be totally wrong in every sense. I live in the UK and there's only 3 species of newt here, so it's not as hard and I have pretty much no newt experience elsewhere, but just from looking around; the patterning on your newt seems largely irregular and more or less just ubiquitously brown, which seems to correlate more to spotted.

That's the image I found that seemed closest to yours and it's spotted. Eastern seems to have a faint, almost slightly leopard-print pattern on the tail margins and marbled, as I say seems to have slightly more regular patterning along the tail. Like, a faint, broken up line running laterally across it.

Definitely seek further guidance though, as, as I say, I'm certainly not an expert!

KrabzAga

Reaction score
Disclaimer: NOT AN EXPERT!

If you're looking for a second opinion; out of the three, I'd say spotted. Could be marbled? Don't THINK Eastern, just on the basis of the patterning? Hard to kind of see the tail patterning exactly, but marbled seems to be a bit more... regular?

I could be totally wrong in every sense. I live in the UK and there's only 3 species of newt here, so it's not as hard and I have pretty much no newt experience elsewhere, but just from looking around; the patterning on your newt seems largely irregular and more or less just ubiquitously brown, which seems to correlate more to spotted.

That's the image I found that seemed closest to yours and it's spotted. Eastern seems to have a faint, almost slightly leopard-print pattern on the tail margins and marbled, as I say seems to have slightly more regular patterning along the tail. Like, a faint, broken up line running laterally across it.

Definitely seek further guidance though, as, as I say, I'm certainly not an expert!
thank you! I also saw that picture. More answers will be appreciated

rachel1

Reaction score
I agree they look exactly like the spotted salamander larvae I raised. Definitely a little on the thin side, I would feed some chopped blackworm to fatten the little guys up a bit!

Attachments

• IMG_0693.JPG
    IMG_0693.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0713.JPG
    IMG_0713.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 148

KrabzAga

Reaction score
I agree they look exactly like the spotted salamander larvae I raised. Definitely a little on the thin side, I would feed some chopped blackworm to fatten the little guys up a bit!
i feed them frozen blood worm and frozen brine shrimp daily. I did order blood worm once but they arrived dead and the reshipment also came dead :/ I can't afford more as I'm not an adult. I am going to do the pond water method sometimes soon. Imma try to feed twice daily instead now. Thanks for the help!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1