Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Larvae died

J

jim

I just lost about 50 waltl larvae after siphoning in some water last night from another tank. Both tanks are cycled and the water from both tested fine across the board. The only thing I can think of is the siphon bulbs I use are from wal mart (automotive type like for an outboard engine) and the one on this siphon was pretty new. Maybe it still had some manufacturing lubricant or some type of oil that blocked oxygen exchange. I've used them for years and never had a problem until now. Very frustrating.

J

jennifer

If all the larvae died within a few hours, then I would suspect some kind of chemical poisoning, as you suggest. The other possibility would be some infectious agent, or micro-organism that came from the other tank.

I nearly killed a whole batch of larvae when I added a big clump of java moss from a stagnant tank into their tub - the moss was healthy, but something from that tank was deadly. I saved the few survivors by putting them in a clean tub and keeping them ultra-clean. I understand your frustration.
angry.gif

ravenous

Reaction score
This is intersting to me because I plan or raising some eggs soon and I was wondering, when you say siphon, you mean like with a tube and hose? Basically the ones where you have to suck the water up? The bulb you mention is throwing me off.

When I change the water for mine I was planning on using a turkey baster. But after reading this, Im getting a bit worried when it comes to raising my first eggs

J

jennifer

A siphon is just a flexible tubing. You can start the water flow by sucking on it, or you can attach a kind of "bulb" that you squeeze to start the flow. I'm not familiar with the kind made for automotive use, but I use one that came from a pet shop (many long years ago - can't find them any more). I really wouldn't worry about a turkey baster, it's made to use on food.

J

jim

The kind I use are for outboard boat motors. They go between the gas tank and the motor to start the flow of fuel as small outboards have no fuel pump. I have used them for years with no problems until now.
angry.gif

ravenous

Reaction score
Ahhh ok. I know what youre talking about. I havent seen pumps for vehicles in awhile. I would never have thought of using something like that. Well sorry to hear you lost so many.

I'll stick to the baster
happy.gif

J

john

The only thing that should find it's way into something like this would be a silicone based mold release agent. Since we commonly use silicones in sealing tanks this seems doubtful as the cause. I'd say it's more likely it was some microorganism in the other tank.

J

jim

All the other tanks have healthy unaffected larvae so it had to be introduced from the siphon. Also they all died overnight.

V

victoria

I also have a battery operated siphon and a turkey baster but out of all three the turkey baster is the BEST and SAFEST!!!

J

jim

This was an old post. After soaking my siphon bulb in hot water several times and tested it on a tank with a single larvae it has worked just fine with no ill effects. I have a whole new batch of P Waltl larvae, as well as C Orientalis and C Pyyhrogaster. I use a turkey baster for spot cleaning, but I have way too many tanks and larvae to use it exclusively.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!