Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Larvae...

ZebraDruid

Reaction score
Hey, I was out at a creek near my house a little bit ago, and I caught six of these salamander larvae (I'm pretty sure that's what they are lol) but I was wondering if it's possible to identify them yet, what they eat, housing requirements, and how long it'll take them to become adults. Here are some pics.

Btw, if this topic is in the wrong place, then I apologize.

Attachments

• baby salamander.jpg
    baby salamander.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,657
  • baby salamanders 1.jpg
    baby salamanders 1.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 6,476

ZebraDruid

Reaction score
Oh btw, I caught these in the piedmont of North Carolina, down the road from the geographic center, if that helps in identification.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was going to answer your post, but noticed that your profile is in violation, despite previous warnings. Please amend your profile, then I will unlock this thread.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unlocked.

They are surely caudate larvae. They are definitely not Notophthalmus. Larvae are pretty hard to ID. I might venture a guess that their heads look like Ambystoma, but I have a low level of confidence even in saying this much.

They'll need pond water (loaded with micro-life) or other small live food that is cultured or bought. If you haven't already, read the "raising" and "microfoods" articles on Caudata Culture.

Slimy2

Reaction score
I wouldn't say ambystomids only because they were found in a creek.

Newly hatched brine shrimp are good to use when starting out with little larvae.

cecalak

Reaction score
They are definitely ambystomatids, not stream-form larvae. That head shape is a good give-away as well as the development of the hind legs and well defined rachis.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1