Leaking Tank; I'm just about ready to give up !

sammie68

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Happy Axi !
Geesh, a few hours ago I come home after visiting a friend to find water dripping, no actually, trickling in a steady stream over the top and down the sides of my sideboard (where the 3ft tank sits). Obviously the tank had sprung a leak somewhere.

It was a second hand tank but I had been using it for about 5 months without any problems. Frustrating thing is, I had just got Taco set up in there 3 days ago. The sand had finally settled, live plants were looking good and Taco was really happy in there. Now the poor creature is sitting in a bucket of siphoned tank water with one of the ornaments for a hide and live plants floating on top. I've draped a tea towel over the top to try and help discourage him from getting out.

I'm exhausted after emptying the tank, lifting the bloody thing off the top of the sideboard and dragging it outside (by myself) didn't realize just how heavy a tank can be. Ive also managed to dry the sideboard and mop up. I don't think there is much damage done there, I'm just sore from lifting the tank.

Anyway I still have the 20litre tank running in preparation for the new axolotl next week, so I can put poor old Taco back in there. Just wondering if he will be OK in the bucket overnight or should I get off my butt and put him back in the little tank ?

Geesh if anything else goes wrong I'm gonna cry :mad::(:nono:

Oh no. I'm so sorry about your tank.

He'll be fine in the bucket overnight. I use buckets and plastic tubs all the time when quarantining new arrivals (axolotls). He'll need his water changed out each day.

As you are exhausted and sore, I would leave Taco in the bucket. I once tried moving one of my axolotls to a new home after a full on day of "renovating" two large tanks, and I dropped my poor axolotl. Luckily, she was fine (and forgave me!).

Last edited:
Oh great thanks Jacquie, I can add him back to the little tank tomorrow, it has been running non stop since I added Tac to the big tank. I'm just to tired to move at the second lol

I've also ordered another axie that I was going to put in the little tank for quarantine, so I guess I can keep the new fellow in a bucket until I get a new tank organised. I plan on doing that next week now, I'm hoping if I go to my pet store (I know them quiet well and they take great care of their axies) and tell them my sad tale they may feel sorry for me and sell me a tank for a little cheaper lol

To quarantine any new additions, I have a load of under bed storage boxes with holes drilled in the lid for the sponge filter. They're uber cheap and give a lot of floor space for axies to wander around. Just an idea :)

Sammie a quick trip to bunnings is in order for you. They sell the silicone you need and then you dont need to spend more money on a new tank. Your tank will be fixed and ready to use again in 24 hrs(after a good clean and a test of course):D.

Thanks Lea, that's a good idea. What I have discovered since cleaning the damaged tank of sand (and cutting my fingers rather badly in the process) is that there is a long crack on the bottom of the tank that has been repaired previously. I was aware of this when I bought the tank and I was also told that the tank was roughly 8 or 9 years old. I suspect it's much older than that.

But anyway, I'm getting kinda excited now as tomorrow I'm off to pick up my new axie, buy a good size tub to quarantine him in, plus shop around for a new tank - hopefully this one will outlast the axies.....

As you are exhausted and sore, I would leave Taco in the bucket. I once tried moving one of my axolotls to a new home after a full on day of "renovating" two large tanks, and I dropped my poor axolotl. Luckily, she was fine (and forgave me!).

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has done that Jacquie, The very first day we bought Taco home I dropped him while transferring him to his tank. This was due to inexperience for sure, but he was fine and suffered no damage at all. I think more damage was done to my little boy, who sat in front of his tank and watched him for 3 hours just to make sure he was alright !!

My 5ft tank also has a big crack along the bottom of it. I got another piece of glass(make sure you get glass bigger than the crack) and silicone over the crack and then place the glass over it, then silicone around the new glass. All done. I also replaced all the silicone around the tank just to be sure. New tanks are always exciting. Make sure you post some pictures of your new tank and new axie when it is set up.

Thanks Lea, that's a great idea on fixing the crack in the bottom of the tank, I never would of thought of that. I will most definitely post pics when the new tank is set up. I will also post pics of the new axie tomorrow hopefully.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back