Leg Concern?

LepidopterRain

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Lena
So... I've had my axolotl, Grumbles, for about a month now. I bought him (might be a her, but I'm bad at being able to tell, lol) from a pet store, where there were about 10 axolotl in a 5 gallon tank! The reason I chose this particular baby was because you could clearly see where toes and some gills had been nibbled off (smallest in the tank) and I wanted to help.

Additionally, when I brought Grumbles home I noticed a white fuzz on one of the back legs that was most likely a fungus. As I'm such a new axolotl owner I was hesitant to try a salt bath, and instead chose to monitor and see what happened. The fungus did go away after a couple days in the new tank I set up, and I've not really seen any ill effects.

Now, here's my concern. That same leg (rear right leg) has always been smaller than the other. At first with all the other issues I didn't pay it much mind, and assumed with healthy conditions it would grow out. But it hasn't, and shows no signs that it will. It's easily over half as small as the other rear leg, and Grumbles keeps it tucked up close to his body. Mobility isn't a huge issue, though it has made him a little "clumsy" and sometimes he tires out quickly. I'm a small domestic animal vet tech (cats and dogs and sometimes rodents/birds) and I know if it were a case at work I'd be minorly concerned and possibly splint it to see if that helps, but obviously I'm out of my element here.

Should I be worried? He eats and acts happy.

EDIT: I managed to get a couple of awkward pics. Won't let me get pics of both legs, but you can see how the one looks odd, it's almost shorter than the front leg!

Attachments

• IMG_3093.jpg
    IMG_3093.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_3094.jpg
    IMG_3094.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 192
I wouldn't be too concerned if Grumbles is eating, pooping and seems happy. One of my axolotl is missing a front leg that had never regrown back since I got him about a year ago from a careless breeder. He has adapted to having just 3 legs.

It may just be in the process of regenerating the leg, it starts small and grows to size. Think of Dead Pool and his baby hand.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back