Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Legs function? Chinese fire bellied newt trouble

C

carissa

Hey, I'm new to this forum
happy.gif

I just got my first reptile on tuesday, and it's a little cutie. Unfortunately, it hasn't eaten the freeze dried bloodworms I tried to feed him, and I'm going to the petstore tomorrow to find some live food.
Problem right now is that when i watch him...sometimes he wont use one foot...and sometimes he will. The foot he wont use switches up, so at one point or another he's refused to use all of his feet!

I wanted to just make sure that this is totally normal?

and he's really small, so I have him in a little cary-on type aquarium. Since he's probably like ..an inch long, does that matter?

thanks...

carissa

C

carissa

okay, i guess it was a silly question. just had me worried after reading numerous posts about legs falling off and toes growing out of their tails!

hopefully i'm right and he's supposed to ignore all but one of his feet most time. he loves hiding in the water though. that's a good sign according to the other posts.
he only comes up for air. but he's soooo small and skinny! i'm afraid the live food will eat HIM!

T

tara

It may be difficult (depending on where you live)to get live food for a newt so small. Many of us end up having to culture our own food. One thing you can do is instead of using freeze dried bloodworm use vitamin fortified frozen bloodworm. Most newts readily gobble this stuff up.

Also because you are in Miami you will have to try methods to keep your animal cool. Most caudates prefer temperatures below 70F, and it may be that he does not want to eat because he is too warm. Keep a screen top on your aquarium to allow for increased evaporation and either place bottles of frozen water in the tank or let a fan blow over the top of the water to cool it down. Keep your tank away from direct sunlight, basement locations are best.

Also Newts are amphibians, not reptiles.

K

kaysie

Mine occasionally just push themselves around while one foot gets dragged along, and it changes. I chalk it up to low muscle mass (or they're just lazy). You should probably not handle him, as you have lots of bacteria in your skin which would be harmful to your little guy.

good luck!

PS: they're amphibians, not reptiles (Sorry, I didn't see Tara's post at the time I posted!).
PS2: see www.caudata.org/cc for helpful articles on food, housing, and care

(Message edited by kaysie on March 26, 2004)

C

carissa

oh gee, i knew they were amphibians not reptiles! i'm just not used to this yet. Thanks so much for the response...i keep him in front of the air conditioner, which i think should keep him below 70degrees. miami is very hot, and i'm a little worried about the summer. I'm thinking about taking him to my office once i make sure the air is on all the time.

we don't have basements here though, we're below water level
happy.gif
i wish we did, that's kinda cool.

thanks again very much, sorry for the silly questions, never had a ..pet like this before!

carissa

Oh, btw, I got him live crickets and he LOVES them! he's acting completely different now that he's eaten one, and i'm going to go check up on that link on how many i should feed him a day.

cute note: I got Newt & Salamander bites just in case he would like them and the directions included this quote "Do not overfeed as overindulgence may occur"

hehe, thought it was funny! he didn't even look at them by the way.

(Message edited by carissa on March 27, 2004)

K

kaysie

flesh-eating bacteria? Doubtful.

Giving a list of symptoms and such would be much more helpful in trying to tell you what's happening.

J

jesper

Kaysie the cynic
biggrin.gif
You are probably describing a growing ulcer caused by bacterial infection. The infection can be local or systemic, hopefully it is only local.

K

kaysie

Well, flesh-eating bacteria really isn't all that common.

Shannon, try neosporin WITHOUT pain reliever.

PS: pet stores almost always know absolutely nothing

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1