Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Lesser Siren FUNGUS!

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
My lesser siren has developed a fungus on its top left gill. I'm not sure how I should approach this situation. With my newts and non-siren salamanders I usually salt the water that they are currently living in or take the axolotl out and give it salt baths. I did already add a little salt into its tank but not much. Is there a certain method I should use?

Attachments

• IMG_5081.JPG
    IMG_5081.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 11,345
  • IMG_5074.JPG
    IMG_5074.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 5,331
  • IMG_5128.JPG
    IMG_5128.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 8,692

AaronK

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I had a similar issue with my lesser siren and put it in the fridge for a couple days with good success.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Thanks Justin, thanks Aaron! I've considered both. I'll keep the Siren in the basement where its about 42 degrees. I'll do salt baths every other day till everything seems better. Cooling and salt baths. Thank you both!

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Here is an update on my lesser siren. Salt baths worked fine but since I've never applied a salt bath to a siren so I used a smaller amount of salt for the "salt baths". Obviously since I used minimal salt I had to apply more salt baths. Maybe if I used larger doses of salt my siren would have been fungus free sooner. I took the route of precaution.

Incase other siren keepers out there suffer the same situation. I put my siren in a 10 gallon tank filled with about 2-3 gallons of water. I used about 0.5 of a spoon of salt and left the siren in there for about 15 minutes. Everyday till the fungus fell away. The damaged gill is now growing back.

Attachments

• IMG_6534.JPGuse.JPG
    IMG_6534.JPGuse.JPG
    172.7 KB · Views: 760
  • IMG_6525.JPGuse.JPG
    IMG_6525.JPGuse.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 797
  • IMG_6521.JPGuse.JPG
    IMG_6521.JPGuse.JPG
    178.3 KB · Views: 865
  • IMG_6524.JPG
    IMG_6524.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 872
  • IMG_6502.JPG
    IMG_6502.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 887

Caudae

Reaction score
This is good news! That looked like a pretty aggressive fungus!

I have used Meracyn Oxy (common in pet stores) with good success too on gill fungus, just dose for your aquarium size, then add enough for about another 10gal., treat every day up to 3 days (I wouldn't do any more days than that). If still present, salt bath it in colder temps!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1