Let's see your T marmoratus set ups

lestat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Newts a little bit of a new area for me... I've been keeping frogs for years, but just recently ventured into this area of amphibians. I have a pair of T marmoratus that are in a temporary set up and I'd like to get started on a nice, natural tank for them. So I was hoping some more experienced people could post pics of their set ups. Thanks!

T. marmoratus:

2368952753_c054c8db54.jpg

T. pygmaeus:

2336095714_09640618f8.jpg

I have to make new pics, both tanks are now more densly planted.

This is my setup for 2.1.2 T.marmoratus.

Photo0019.jpg

Photo0025.jpg

It's not the most beautiful but here it is:

Attachments

• DSCF0473 [640x480].jpg
    DSCF0473 [640x480].jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 548
Just wondering are these guys terristial or aquatic?

In this set up are 5 juvenils terrestrial, I want to breed with them in the summer.
I got 3 adults aquatic and I have there some eggs.
But i know some one who keeps juvenils aquatic.

Do you keep the adults aquatic all year round?

I have them almost 3 months aquatic and when they stop laying eggs i put them in the aqua/terrarium on the picture.

AW: Let's see your T marmoratus set ups

Why'd you put a bromelia in your tank:confused:

It's an nice flower and he does well in my tank.
And my marmers climb on it.

If you plan on keeping marms year-round in a single set-up, how large does the land area have to be? What about water? Would a 25:75 land:water type terrarium work?

If you plan on keeping marms year-round in a single set-up, how large does the land area have to be? What about water? Would a 25:75 land:water type terrarium work?

Erin, I think it all boils down to personal preference. Some people keep adults aquatic year round, 50/50 water to land portion, or even completely terrestrial (except during breeding season). They're just so many possibilties with this species and thats why they're one of my favorites.

Thanks, Justin!

I guess I'm kind of trying to decide what the best newt for me would be... assuming I try out another species. I love the look of marms, and setting up a paludarium with a nice land area sounds exciting. I'm a little terrified about the prospect of having to put in a tank divider (just because of the possibility of leaks) but I don't think I can get around it.

Anyway, here's a silly drawing of what I have in mind to build:

dumb idea2.jpg

I like to stare for hours at my newt set-ups, so I want to make sure the newts would be happy in something I would also want to look at.

I like the looks of what you had in mind and marmoratus definitely look like a possibility for an inhabitant. If leaks are a strong concern of yours then you could possibly use LECA (hydroton) where the dirt should be. I don't know if you have given that thought some consideration or not but it may be worth a shot.

Later,
Justin

I'm about to build a new aqua-terrarium for my T. marmoratus. The aquarium is 1.70m x 50cm x 50cm. This is the plan (its just a paint model) so you can see how it will be.
As soon as I start, I'll post pictures of it...

aquariumschets.jpg

Thats a BIG marmoratus tank! i thought i had i large vivarium hehe. Im looking forward to this construction.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back