Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Life in the Corona bunker.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hope everyone's doing ok under the corona lockdown situation. Things are really strange here in the UK, but at least I get time to chill with my little Chinese dog. :cool:
What's everyone else doing to stay sane?

Screenshot_2020-04-01-16-09-52-1.png

MnGuy

Reaction score
I'm a natural introvert so it's not driving me crazy. I miss going to restaurants and seeing movies with friends, but I'm mostly fine. I'm actually really busy most days working from home, so my free time is still limited to the evenings after 6 p.m.

I like having the time and ability to walk my dogs over my lunch hour, and find a lot of relaxation in caring for my several houseplants and pets, including three alpine newts. I like being home all day seeing how they act all day.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thankfully I'm still working reduced hours at the moment, but I joke with people that self isolation is my hobby anyway so it's not too bad for me yet.

Viking

Reaction score
Hope everyone's doing ok under the corona lockdown situation. Things are really strange here in the UK, but at least I get time to chill with my little Chinese dog. :cool:
What's everyone else doing to stay sane?

View attachment 83557
I am feeling isolated. My dogs liked me being home most of the time. I only go out to get supplies. My county only has 1 case in this county so far. I know it will increase.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
At least in the UK we're allowed out for exercise so I can walk my dog. Fortunately there's loads of open countryside round here so we can just roam around without seeing another soul for hours at a time.

Viking

Reaction score
At least in the UK we're allowed out for exercise so I can walk my dog. Fortunately there's loads of open countryside round here so we can just roam around without seeing another soul for hours at a time.
I live on a 240 acre farm. I can walk in my yard. I have a 2 acre yard. I am sorry I don't know the number hectars on the top of my head. I only have 6 houses within one kilometer of my house. The block here is 6 miles or 10 kilometers. A lot of the US is empty.

Herphunter

Reaction score
My company builds transformers and power supplies for the US military and our allies. Fortunately that means we are essential to the national security and we are actually working, not only full time, but extended hours. Lots of overtime available. I too have the luxury of living in a suburban area with 10 acres of my own. I am not anywhere near NYC where things are really horrible right now.
Viking,
Do you deer hunt? You live in some of the best part of the whitetails range in the United States. Is your farm all crop land, or do you have some embedded pockets of forest on your 240 acres?

Viking

Reaction score
The farm is primarily for corn. The deer eat corm that falls to the ground during harvest. The only trees are in my yard. Today they even removed most of the fences for room for crops. There is some forest in the hilly area 1 mile from my house. I have drive very carefully in the evening. It is easy hit to a deer. There is a flock of wild turkeys I see driving to town sometimes.

A few days ago I had to convince a possum to leave his(my) porch. He was not very frightened by me.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi😊 I'm actually quite liking being shut in. I can gently potter with small bursts of entertaining my youngest. I have four children, three are at home and one is at Uni in Bangor, I worry about him getting ill but he is probably safer being there. My husband is working from home and is actually putting in more hours, he is a product manager for hand held printers. As he has to sit in our front room while working, we are learning so much about his products lol. I work in a primary school as a teaching assistant, next week I have a shift working with the children that need caring for. We are no longer classing ourselves as a primary school but as a childcare facility. It does worry me going to work, but this is my job. At least one colleague and her husband have been hospitalised with this nasty illness so far, but they are both now home. Anyway, my amphibian all all seem well. I have my A.maculatum eggs to entertain me, I spend a little time trying to count the opacum larvae that were lucky enough not to be victims of the storm that wiped out their more nurtured siblings. Keep well all 🙋

juraj

Reaction score
Worried and unhappy for the first and second week, not warried and not happy for the third. Weird situation.

Attachments

• IMG_20200403_173928_00001.jpg
    IMG_20200403_173928_00001.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 329

KayDee

Reaction score
Just read this thread and wanted to check in with you all. I guess things are all so much worse for you all now?
Are you all doing ok?
We feel for you all 😦. We were very fortunate in that our government introduced very strict lockdowns and compulsory face masks at all times. We still have to wear masks in crowded places but we have been covid free for over a month now.
I guess coming into winter for some of you may mean that most people stay indoors? Stay safe everyone. Thinking of you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!