Lighting....CFBN

J

jaia

Okay, the guy at the store said (thus why I am asking here first) that my newts (CFB; not JFB as earlier stated)would tolerant those lights desgined specifically for plants, or a uvb light (no heat).....he also said strip lighting is not enough to keep the plants alive and healthy. He also said UVb would help the newts.

I am aiming for lots of live plants so I will need the light.....

What light can I use that would keep my plants alive and not bother the newts (lights would be on for abt 10hrs a day).

Thanks a bunch

Strip lights, if kept to a minimum, should be fine. UVB is not neccesary for newts. I would look into an actinic lightbulb or something similar if I were you.

I have lots of hornwort, only plant that survives with turtles....with the newts, I was really hoping to be able to try new plants....smiles....thanks both of you

You can always do a search of the forum for other low-light plants

In the shoplights over my tanks at work and at home I use a combination of one warm tube and one cool tube. This will support the growth of many plants (including Utricularia, Lemna (duckweed), water sprite, ect.
Ed

Thank you.....the light I may be going with is the ZoMed Tropical Sun 5,500K Daylight Fluorescent Lamp (tube style for a hood). I was told this light produces low to no heat....am I being lied to....smiles.

Thanks all

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back