Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Lighting question involving T-8's for plant growth

DavDe

Reaction score
I have a 20 gallon long that I have initially set up as a terrarium just a few days ago. I have an aqueon t-8 flourescent bulb I'm using for the moss and ferns I have planted in about four inches of substrate. I'm looking for a low heat signiture that will keep low light plants. My basement temps are pretty good for my future plan of adding Fire Salamanders or anything that will do well the the mid-upper 60 degree range. But that's up the road. For now I'm just wondering if the t-8 can keep plants. Thoughts?

seandelevan

Reaction score
Why not LED? More efficient. Keeps temps low. Don’t have to mess with bulbs. A lot of the big box stores sell them now. Nothing fancy.

merman

Reaction score
For plants, full spectrum will work. It may be a bit bright, so sallies and whatnot will llkely be hidden during the day. Personally, I like minimal plant lighting, for many reasons. It slows plant growth for manageability, simulates overcast/woodland conditions and is friendlier to possible daylight sallie activities. When you shut the light off at night, it should act minimally to cool the tank, which also simulates natural conditions.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!