Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Lighting

G

grant

Well about a week ago I started using a 15 watt UV light for the plants in my cage. I have quite a few plants and this was very necessary. I havent had any problems with heat or anything. I have it on for about 6 hours a day. It seems to be working well and not bothering them. Has anyone else had experienced with lights or keeping plants alive in a low light low temp tank?

D

dev

i have plants in my tank, mainly low light plants like java moss, crypts, dwarf hairgrass, hardy plants basically. I leave the lights on for 7 hrs or so. My only problem with the plants is my axies chew it and rip it apart for fun. Some climb it break them i dont know they keep doing silly things. I use one 15W bulb, but my plants hover over making dark spaces for the axies to hide etc so the light doesnt bother them, they can just hide in their cave or other spots.

G

grant

Yea I orginally just had java moss in the tank whichc requires basically no lighting. But now I just have the 15 watt UV light and it seems not to be bothering them. My axies sit on the plants but they have never chewed or broken any plants.

C

cynthia

Grant - Java fern and anubis nana does well in cool water and low light. I have them in several unheated tanks under various lighting conditions and they are doing well.

N

nathan

I tried to put java moss in my tank but the next day it just disappeared, strange... darn axies!!
lick.gif

L

lisa

My 3ft tank is planted with Vallisneria, Amazon Sword, Anubias, Banana lillies, and Pongol ( a type of grass), Java moss, and duckweed on the top. And some other bits and pieces I can't remember names of. That tank gets light 8 hours a day. Single triphosphore globe.
The light doesn't bother my axies, but that could be because I have lots of shady spots on my tank where they can hide. The duckweed helps shade the tank, but once that stuff is in your tank you'll be scooping bucketloads of it out for the rest of your life.
I hear crypts do very well in low light, Although I'm unsure how they will stand up to the axies.
Everyone recommends elodia, but I can never get it to root, and my girls rip it to shreds, and my tank ends up looking like a tossed salad.
Just go for tough plants, nothing lacey or delicate.
There is a post in the gallery section called "Just a few funny photos" - shows my 3ft with all its plants.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1