Lighting

Kokiron

Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2014
Messages
58
Reaction score
0
Points
6
Location
Kentucky
Country
United States
Last time I asked about lighting it was concerning GFP axies back when I didn't have any axies at all. I now have a non-GFP one, and i'm wondering if it's going to bother it to keep my aquarium lights on? I dont have any plants that float at the top of the water, but I DO have a flower pot with part of the side knocked out in there as a hide and it stays pretty shady in there. My hood holds two bulbs, btw, so should I use both, just one, or none at all?
 
They don't really like the light but I could imagine that you won't see your axolotl often if the only shade it has is that pot.
 
Yeah, i'm just keeping it off for now cause I dont want him to hide all the time. Wasn't 100% sure if he'd hide from the light all the time if I had it on though.
 
It really depends on the axie. But it might be the best to keep just one light on at least at first.
Mine have had a light all their lives so they don't mind it. I have many hides, and parts of the tank are shady while other parts have direct light so they can choose whatever they want at the moment.
Here's a picture of my leucistic hanging out in the shade and my wild type "sun"bathing on top of the hide.
 

Attachments

  • 2014-06-26 19.07.59.jpg
    2014-06-26 19.07.59.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 239
It really depends on the axie. But it might be the best to keep just one light on at least at first.
Mine have had a light all their lives so they don't mind it. I have many hides, and parts of the tank are shady while other parts have direct light so they can choose whatever they want at the moment.
Here's a picture of my leucistic hanging out in the shade and my wild type "sun"bathing on top of the hide.

cool; he doesn't seem to mind it much when I do turn it on, I just worried it might be bad for his eyes since they dont have eyelids. I'll play around with my lights and see how it goes, maybe go buy some LED ones instead of regular bulbs.
 
I've had some questions about this too as I have two albinos so I would think they would be even more sensitive to light. That being said they don't really seem to react to any lights being on, they just sit there and sometimes come up to me to see what I'm doing, they don't like run to their hide or anything when the lights come on...I guess I'm wondering if it's damaging their eyes more than I realize since they don't really seem to react?
 
Axies aren't stupid, if the light bothers them they'll find a dark hide to hang out in. Ofcourse there has to be enough caves etc in the tank so that all the axies can hide if they want to if there's a light on. But if they don't seem to mind it then there's no harm in having a light on.

LED is definitely a good choice. It doesn't produce heat like regular light bulbs and it uses less electricity. There are also many different kinds on LED's so you can choose what ever you like; bulbs or strips, different shades of light.
 
Bought an LED bulb yesterday and put it in. It's a little less bright than the regular bulb (sadly for me, happily for the axie I guess), but I can always pick up a second to see how it goes.

The glass immediately came off of it when I tried screwing it in though -_- I left it off for now since it's an LED and doesn't need the glass anyway since the actual light is covered in plastic.
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
    Back
    Top