Lights?

C

clay

are lights ok because when i first started with axolotls i read that they are sensitive to light and it stresses them out so is it ok to have a light or not i have never needed 1 but i wish to have some live plants so is it ok or not?

it is ok to have lighting but dont have too many or too bright. i had 3 x 30w tubes in my 3 foot tank and my axies didnt mind it "but i had lots of hidding spots for them" then transfered my axies to a 5 foot tank and got a T5 2 x 80w setup for it and it was too bright for my axies and they were stressing out badly. i gave my axies away because of this...

i nice planted tank can be done but you need alot of tubes, around the 6500K range and about one watt per litre which is a fair amount of light. axies dont really like bright lights so this could be a problem unless you wanted to put in alot of caves or just grow floating plants.

if you pick plants like anubias, java fern/moss etc that will probably be easier as they dont need as much light.

hope that helps.

I use a Blue Moon light in my tank. It's not going to help me grow any plants but it doesn't bother my Axie and I can still see him !!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back