Limb Regeneration

A

adam

I have a rough skinned newt that apparently was involved in a "dispute" with another. His front limb is nearly severed (I actually see the bone - looks like the injury is just below the shoulder). I understand that Newts do regenerate their limbs - but the bone and the "dead" remainder of the limb is still present. What should I do? Attempt a modified amputation? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you sure the limb below the wound is dead? If you are, I'd recommend amputation. If the bone is severed, then go ahead and amputate. If the wound heals over with no signs of fungus on the extremities, then he should be ok. Just watch carefully for signs of rotting on the limb. If you see it, amputate and let the limb grow back fresh.

Let me explain how the limb looks: The bone is exposed and there is absolutely no connective tissue in between the the 2 areas of the newts flesh. The other half does not appear to be rotting but it doesnt "look right." I think I should probably attempt to aputate it. Any recomendations on how I should do it?

i think you should see a professional, or a pet store employee, some do checkups without a pricy vet bill. you could hurt it more than it is if you dont know what you're doing.

pet store employees are not professionals, and very very few vets actually know any amphibian medecine. Newts and sals are adapted to losing and regrowing limbs, it's a natural ability.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back