Limb rot??!!

celinenicoleb

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys so I did hours of hours of research before I bought Groot my best. Actually this website has been very helpful. A month and a half ago I saved my leucistic Spanish ribbed meet. The pet shop was terrible and told me false info about how to take care of my best. They didn't even have a thermometer in the tank and refused to tell me the temp of his pet store tank. Any way I have been deligent about keeping Groots tank at around 55 to 70 degrees but never above 70. Well I went on vacation and I gave very through instructions to my mother in law. I don't think she kept the tank cool enough and she thought it would be nice for him to have the window light open for Groot. That would have been giving him direct sun light which I've read is bad for the newt. Anyway I saw black spots on the newt and I'm worried that if it gets worse I'll have to amputate. I work at an animal hospital so I bet I can get someone I know to help me do it right. Im hoping it's not this or if it is if there are other alternatives. I tried my best to get a picture.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Country
Wales
Display Name
nai live
Get a pic. Black spots on leuc ribbed are part of the normal patterning.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Michael Shrom
It sounds normal to me. Ribbed newts are very resilient. They can take temps from 40F to about 80F. I try to keep mine between 55F and 75F. The direct sunlight should be o.k. but might cause algae problems. The biggest mistake babysitters do is overfeeding.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Country
Wales
Display Name
nai live
Probably the start of sexual maturity, males develop black palms and forearms, nuptial pads, for grasping females. Keep an eye on it but its prob ok.

celinenicoleb

Reaction score
Country
United States
That makes sense. Tell me if this theory of mine is sound- I've been keeping the lights off and window shades down in my room where Groot resides. He may have instinctively thought it was winter, but when Barbara put the shades up while I was gone he could think it's spring. Isn't that a thing breeders do to make their newts mate? Anyway he's the only living creature in my tank. In other words I don't have any female newts. I'm afraid to because I'm not ready to raise newt eggs to maturity. Would it be beneficial in the future to get one for Groot as a buddy? Also what your all saying makes even more sense because he hasn't shown any other symptoms of limb rot. He has been eating like an crocodile and he is more active than usual. He is growing like crazy. Two months ago when I got him he was 3 1/2 inches. He is now 5 1\2. How old should be to achieve sexual maturity? I also notice that his tail has become a lot bigger and more wavy recently. Maybe another sign of sexual maturity? I don't know. Any ways here are more pictures.

Attachments

celinenicoleb

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can see some of the nuptial pad on the top newt, get a better pic latter.

So he grew from just under 9 cm to just under 14 cm. :). Also thanks guys so much for taking the time to help me.

celinenicoleb

Reaction score
Country
United States
The black spots have now spread to the tips of his fingers. Is there an article on this where I can compare the black spots from sexual maturity to limb rot?

celinenicoleb

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey sorry it took me a while to reply! Yes that looks exactly like the black stuff on my newt!! Phew...so glad it's not limb rot. Thank you for posting that picture!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Murk:
    Hi Nerdybirds - open a thread, that usually gets more views and also allows you to post pictures and give more background information: water parameters, age, etc.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Roadrunner:
    My axolotl can you all take a look at that thread, I am freaked out about my axie
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    His gills seem kinda small, I don't think that's normal but I'm not a huge expert on axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • Roadrunner:
    Yeah his gills is kinda small and it can be caused by nitrate level, I am taking care of it atm, I am worried about his weight, is he only overfed or are there any kinds of problems there ?
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Well, again, I'm no expert. But I did just read axolotls are supposed to have a body about as wide as their head. The gills I'd say are the biggest problem, which could reduce oxygen intake, which could make a whole mess of problems.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Roadrunner:
    Thanks for the help then, I will deal with his gills in no time
    +2
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Bri the axolotl mom has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Bri the axolotl mom has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • nerdybirds73:
    Any one have advice on feeding a tubbed axolotl?
    +1
    Unlike
  • nerdybirds73:
    mine hasent eaten in weeks and im not sure what to do
    +1
    Unlike
  • LauraLobster:
    Hello, I am a new owner of a 3 month old axolotl, and although I have done a lot of research on axolotls, I can barely find any for babies. If anyone can help me with these questions, I would be super happy. How many hours do baby axolotls tend to sleep per day? How many times should I feed it and what would be considered too much (it's current diet is freeze-dried brine shrimp and blood worms, and I currently feed it around 3 bloodworms since they are not that big)? How many times a week should I change the water and how? I have a good filter and use Prime as my conditioner to remove the chlorine and other chemicals, but I still need to figure out how to deal with ammonia and such in the water. How do I clean it's waste (should I use a dropper to easily pick it up)? I need a better cooling system because currently I use ice packs on the side of the tank and I make sure to angle my ac so that it hits the tank.
    +1
    Unlike
  • LauraLobster:
    I also leave the lid open during the day so that evaporation can cool down my tank. I want to buy a fan, but since winter is coming I won't have to buy one yet. Lastly, what water testers are effective and affordable for a broke student like myself? Please, if anyone has any advice I will love to hear it. I care for this creature too much at this point, but I have no one to help me with caring for it other than the internet :,)
    +1
    Unlike
  • EmilyP:
    Hi LauraLobster I am a new owner of axolotls myself and have been getting advice from things like this, I feed mine twice a day on blackworms and brine shrimp blood worms are more of a treat food, a question on where you are keeping you axolotl are you keeping it in the main tank or in a tub also if in the tank did you cycle it first? and if not i suggest tubing it until the tank it cycled, mine are still tubed since I was given bad advice by the shop people about cycling my tank and am still in the process of cycling it. I use pipettes to clean up the mess of my axolotls. I use the API mater test kit for freshwater tanks I am also a student and had to look around to find it the cheapest I could.
    +1
    Unlike
  • AnimeDan:
    Hi LauraLobster, like you I got my first ever Axolotl back in July. Iv found that he has enjoyed and eaten red wigglers well. They are a good source of protein and help provide the nutrients a young lotl needs to grow up big and strong. You will probably need to break it up into smaller pieces until they get bigger but they are what I have primarily fed my buddy since I got him. He’s actually so picky that he won’t even eat his pellets anymore and will hold out till he gets his favorite wormy.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Readysalted:
    Hi I would like to know how you treat nea
    +1
    Unlike
  • Readysalted:
    Hi I would like to know how you treat newt inflamtion I've got one and recently it's started to develop an inflammation on its throat can someone please tell me how you treat this I've also checked if he had something stuck but I didn't se anything
    +1
    Unlike
  • Cjbond:
    Anyone have any Notophthalmus viridescens for purchase to a loving home?
    +2
    Unlike
  • Grantsky:
    Hi, I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this as I am new to the site, b
    +1
    Unlike
  • ltoloxa-:
    Hey, can anyone recommend a good fan/cooler in UK?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nycolebayne:
    I’ve got proven female axolotls available if anyone is interested.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Hey, does anyone know if shale is ok for long-toed salamanders?
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    As long as its cleaned yeah! You can even make overhangs if you have enough pieces to make nice caves and platforms
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Ok, thanks!
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    My pleasure! River rocks work well too, and go rather well with all kinda lung less salamanders,
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Great! I'll use some of those too. Thanks for the help. :)
    +1
    Unlike
    Mark.H: Great! I'll use some of those too. Thanks for the help. :) +1