Little axolotls question

Noah T

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I have 3 little axolotls that are about an inch and a quarter big (they are all separated in plastic containers), when I can put them into a tank. I did some research and couldn't find anything.

Last edited:
Hello, I have 3 little axolotls that are about an inch and a quarter big (they are all separated in plastic containers), when I can put them into a tank. I did some research and couldn't find anything.
you can probably go ahead and put them in their tanks now, as long as they’re separated. not an expert on this btw

Axolotls usually have cannibalistic trends until they are about 4 inches long. They will try (and manage) to eat each other's legs or tail tip. More often, one will dominate the others.
Unless your tank is big and heavily planted, I'd wait before putting them together.

JM29 is correct. Under about 4 inches long and you can end up with accidental injuries. You're best bet is to wait until theyre at least that size and have upgraded to eating earthworms as it will be easier to feed them safely without having to separate them into tubs for every meal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back