Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Little white worms in tank?

melgado22

Reaction score
I have noticed for a while little flat white worms on my tank walls, i spoke with someone a while back and they said it wasn't anything to worry about but this is the only tank that has them and they just look really gross. can anyone identify them and is this something i should be concerned about? my axolotl is perfectly healthy and happy, not affected by these worms... i saw one fall on his face the other day..

Attachments

• IMG_1516.jpg
    IMG_1516.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 480
  • IMG_1519.jpg
    IMG_1519.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 439

qannp

Reaction score
Do they look like these?

planarian2.jpg

If yes, it's planaria. Don't worry, they won't do any harm to axies.

keiko

Reaction score
It's normal to have all sorts of little creatures come and go in your tanks, but if there are suddenly a lot of them then it's a sign that there are some wastes (=food for them) in the tank and it could use a good cleaning. But be careful not to clean too well so you don't destroy your cycle.

melgado22

Reaction score
hmm i think thats them, its hard to say i can't really see that close lol. i do the same amount of water changes on this tank as i do the rest, the only difference is that the sand is much finer than the others... glad to know they're harmless but they look really gross. so.. never really thought about it but when it comes to sand and bacterial pockets.. what do you do to sift the sand in your axolotls tank?

vanjaif

Reaction score
glad to know they're harmless but they look really gross. so.. never really thought about it but when it comes to sand and bacterial pockets.. what do you do to sift the sand in your axolotls tank?

I have them in my tank to. They came about a year ago, and now i see them off and on. Sometimes they spike up if I don't clean well enough, and other times I don't see them for months.

What do you mean with "shift the sand"? Like take it out of the tank?
Normally when I clean the tank I remove all visible dirt, then I stir my hand around in the sand (since the sand is heavier then the dirt it falls back into place while the dirt floats up), then I remove the dirt that floated up and continue the process over and over again to clean the sand properly :happy:

Reaction score
I've just gotten some of these in my tank too. I think Oaki (my axolotl) likes to eat them... I'll do 50% water change and a moderate tank clean-out... When I first saw them I freaked out and so I'm glad to know they are harmless... Caudata saves the day once again!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!