Live plants with newts

S

samlims

ok, so for the benefit of all of us who are trying to keep live plants with newts, what in tarnation do we do??
* don't use substrate or co2?
* don't use tropical plants?
maybe i could use normal pond weed from my own garden pond as this is used to cold temperatures, are there any specific species of plant that work best, for egg laying etc?
do they need any kind of food or will they just live in the gravel?
should i use gravel or sand?
also one of the logs (which a scrubbed and boiled thuroughly) is begining to get a white fluff of mold or something on it... this could be down to the UV light i have on the tank?
it seems like never ending task , but i want my newts to be the most happy they can be..., please could u give a detailed description of everything,
i really do appreciate the time u give to people (talking to jennifer) thanks

Well, I would choose plants that are hardy and can tolerate cooler temperatures if I was to use them with in my newt tanks. Things that I have heard work well are Anacharis, Hornwort (Ceratophyllum), Java Fern and Java Moss. I'm sure there are other plants too. My hornwort and java fern are thriving in a cool water fish tank (About 21C) without any CO2. I have hard, mineral rich water, so I haven't supplemented these at all.

I would check with your local wildlife authority to see about the suitability/legality of your local aquatic plant life. But they should make good choices. I know the Minnesota DNR has an excellent plant ID guide with info on all the native species. Obviously that doesn't help you, but hopefully you have something similar in England.

As for substrates, I am using gravel and just burying the ends of the hornwort. The java fern is anchored to drift wood. Light seems to be the most important to my plants. I have 2.7 watts/gallon.

I think your log is probably just rotting. My corkbark regularly grows a dark or light green whispy fungus/algae. Is the log meant to be submersed? Grapevine and a lot of other woods that are sold in pet stores will rot or mold like that when submersed.

elodea is great, I got some last month it its already growing and beggening to multiply

I have elodea (anachris) and it flourishes. I have a tiny sprig of java fern and some bulb plant I can't identify. I was considering adding something else but the elodea has taken up too much space already.

There are many plants that can thrive in the "cold water" set up. aquatic mosses do well but are slow growers. I have Riccia doing well in both a newt and axolotl set up. With some good lighting, Lysimachia Nummularia (creepping Jenny) does well. I am having good luck with it. It does not need to be planted. It does sprout roots from its side and it is sold a a bunch plant, propegated from clippings.
Sagiiaria, Vallisneria spiralis, Ludwiga, dwarf hair grass should do well if you plant them in a little pots in the tank. Check aquatic plant websites, you would be surprised on how many differnt plants can thrive in a setting at 18-22 degrees.

tie mosses, java fern, riccia to rocks, if you do not want substrate. http://www.aquamoss.net/ is a good site about mosses. I also use Mariomo/Moss/whatevertheyare called Balls.

I dont use CO2 or ferts.

For substrates I use Flourite. In a few tanks I topped off the FLourite with either some quartz sand or some Tahitian moon. Flourite is kinda light, but i think it is beautiful.

Good luck. Aquagradening is fun! and beautiful!

I have a few plants. Anacharis is a good one. I also have guppy grass, java moss, and christmas moss. I now have a sand bottom, but they have a clay saucer in there that I feed them in so they're not inhaling too much sand. My understanding is that it will pass through them. But it's cute, when they're hungry they wait in the saucer and stare at me if they see me. Little eating machines...
Take care,
Mary.

I put some frill in with my fire belly newt. I think that's the kind it came with. I hope it was a good decision.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back