Live Plants

TLaw

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I was thinking of throwing in some live plants into my CFB's tank. I was probably going to use java moss and devil's ivy. Will these grow underwater? Also, what do they need? In my tank I have gravel for a base and some fake rocks. Can the plants grow on and around these or do I need to throw in anything else to stimulate growth?

Java moss is a great choice because it can live and grow with low light/temps. It can literally can sit anywhere, I have mine in a clump in the middle of the tank. In another tank I have it half on a cork float, half in the water and its doing great

Devil's Ivy can in be the water but being completely underwater is not a good idea. Have some of the vine underwater and the leaves above.

With newts and these plants it not a good idea to stimulate growth. High heat lights, injecting things in the water can harm the newt. At room temps with a reasonable amount of light these will grow fine.

Mitch

Two great plants there for the amphibian keeper, devils ivy is practically indestructable, it can grow in low light in water or even in dry soil. It can regrow when you cut it, and taken out when you clean if needed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back