Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Long-tailed salamander (Eurycea Longicauda) setup

MVM1991

Reaction score
This is my newest, and second, salamander. His name is Chester and this is his first setup. I got river rocks to make caves, they live in caves in the wild im pretty sure. He's a bit stressed and keeps climbing the wall, so if there's anything I can do with that please tell me, or will he just stop when he's more comfortable? But yeah here it is!

Attachments

• 20200825_121616.jpg
    20200825_121616.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 3,338

MVM1991

Reaction score
So, I put a piece of wood in. But it was eaten out by ants and I had to take it out because the crickets would hide in it. I may also swap him with my tiger who is in a 5 (bad I know)

JaceW/Lifer-Log

Reaction score
Good idea, and don’t feel bad. You worked with what you got and are now correcting it for the better that’s what matters. Good call removing the wood crickets for prolonged periods an be dangerous for sals. (They will be the cricket’s snack)

MVM1991

Reaction score
I had a blue-tailed skink and yeah he was a victim to cricket predation. Found him without a front leg and tons of bites all over his body. Poor guy😔

MVM1991

Reaction score
Yeah haha! I haven't seen him eat yet, but he's gotten wider so I'm guessing he's eaten a cricket or pill bug that I put in there. Also, do you have any advice on keeping it cool? When I swap tanks it'll probably get cooler for him and thankfully tigers can stand more heat

JaceW/Lifer-Log

Reaction score
I just keep my house at around 70-72 degrees. But maybe use some insulation on 3 sides of the tank. I bet the axo section of this website has lots of information.

MVM1991

Reaction score
Thank you! I'll add some insulation foam or aomething soon. I might also get a small fan

josh1990

Reaction score
Your setup looks really good! Only thing I would add is some flat pieces of cork bark or tree fern for him to hide under. I think I see a water dish, correct? Misting the tank every so often is a good idea to keep humidity up. I would keep the humidity over 50 percent but don’t let the soil become water logged, it will spoil and stink.They like it cool so don’t let him get over 72 degrees, it will hurt him for sure. An air conditioning unit is the best way to keep them cool unless you have a basement which would be even better. He doesn’t really need the light and that may be what’s still stressful for him. They are voracious eaters and will eat just about anything small enough to fit in their mouth. Small crickets are good but only put a few in at a time because as discussed they can chew on your salamander. Isopods (pillbugs) are really good too and you can put plenty of them in his tank and they may breed and start a small population for him to eat. The best kind for your salamander would be rough grey isopods and dwarf white isopods. They will also clean up waste matter. Small earthworms, tiny white slugs, waxworms, house flies, black soldier fly larvae and bean beetles are all good choices too. If you go to Caudata Culture they will have articles on different foods and nutrition. Good Luck! The long tailed salamanders are a beautiful species and one of my favorites! Also, a tight fitting screen cover is a must!!! They are escape artists of the greatest kind! Josh

MVM1991

Reaction score
Your setup looks really good! Only thing I would add is some flat pieces of cork bark or tree fern for him to hide under. I think I see a water dish, correct? Misting the tank every so often is a good idea to keep humidity up. I would keep the humidity over 50 percent but don’t let the soil become water logged, it will spoil and stink.They like it cool so don’t let him get over 72 degrees, it will hurt him for sure. An air conditioning unit is the best way to keep them cool unless you have a basement which would be even better. He doesn’t really need the light and that may be what’s still stressful for him. They are voracious eaters and will eat just about anything small enough to fit in their mouth. Small crickets are good but only put a few in at a time because as discussed they can chew on your salamander. Isopods (pillbugs) are really good too and you can put plenty of them in his tank and they may breed and start a small population for him to eat. The best kind for your salamander would be rough grey isopods and dwarf white isopods. They will also clean up waste matter. Small earthworms, tiny white slugs, waxworms, house flies, black soldier fly larvae and bean beetles are all good choices too. If you go to Caudata Culture they will have articles on different foods and nutrition. Good Luck! The long tailed salamanders are a beautiful species and one of my favorites! Also, a tight fitting screen cover is a must!!! They are escape artists of the greatest kind! Josh
*sigh*.... I have found that out. Yesterday I had found he had escaped!!! I haven't been able to find him anywhere but I will keep the setup mostly intact in case he shows up. But thank you for all the advice! I will be sure to do all of those when I find him again! And yes there was a water dish in the tank.

JaceW/Lifer-Log

Reaction score
*sigh*.... I have found that out. Yesterday I had found he had escaped!!! I haven't been able to find him anywhere but I will keep the setup mostly intact in case he shows up. But thank you for all the advice! I will be sure to do all of those when I find him again! And yes there was a water dish in the tank.
Good luck, sumps are often were people find their lost tigers so maybe it will work for your Eurycea

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!