Looking for Advice on White’s Tree Frogs

Charlotte29

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! I’m Charlotte, I’m new here, and I’m planning on getting a White’s Tree Frog pretty soon! I have quite a few questions I wasn’t able to find exact answers for by googling, and I wanted some advice from actual frog owners. This will be my first amphibian (I currently have a crested gecko and a leopard gecko), and I want to make sure I provide the best possible home for it. Apologies in advance if this is a lengthy post.

First off, as far as habitats go, I was planning on using an 18x18x24 Exo Terra as a base Vivarium. I know this is an adequate size for adult tree frogs, but I’m assuming the one I will be getting will be a froglet, and I’m wondering if that enclosure will be too large for froglets.

I’m also debating whether or not to use a bioactive setup. I’ve heard these frogs are kind of messy and that a self cleaning bioactive setup can be really beneficial, but I also know they can swallow loose medium easily and have impaction issues. I’ve been told paper towels are a good alternative substrate, but if I were to use them I obviously couldn’t have any bioactivity. Thoughts on this?

Secondly, the frog itself. I was first of all wondering whether I should get one or two. I know they do fine on their own, but I’ve heard they also seem to really thrive with company. But if I were to get two, I assume they would both be froglets and thus unsexed. Depending on the frogs’ sexes, would there be any issues with their cohabitation as they got older (unwanted breeding, territoriality, etc.)? I couldn’t find much about this online. Also, can anybody recommend a good place to get healthy white tree frogs? I’ve heard Josh’s Frogs is a good place, can anyone confirm? This will also be my first time receiving an animal online, and I was wondering, if I were to get two frogs (in the same shipment), would I have to quarantine them separately after they arrived?

Apologies again if this post is rambly, I’d really appreciate any and all advice! Thanks!☺

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back