Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Looking for fan/cooler recommendations in UK: Temperature won't go below 20 unless for a short period of time.

ltoloxa-

Reaction score
I have a fan going at all times and change the water with colder water. I also use frozen water bottles and the heat is off in my bedroom. The temp never stays below 20 though.

I'm thinking about getting a tank cooler but they are very expensive and I can't really afford it.

I've tried so many things, but it's only ever a quick fix. I only recently started checking the temp (as told wrong info when given the axolotl) but I don't want to risk my axie becoming sick.

It's currently summer, which could be a factor - my room temp is 23-26 degrees but I have the window open and heating off always. Probably the coldest room in the house.

What can I do rather than a quick fix? Any fan or cooler recommendations? My fan is this but it isn't very good.

Any advice welcome. Thank you

leomleite

Reaction score
What works for me here in Brazil 🇧🇷 is placing some computer coolers on top of the aquarium. I use 6 of them and it keeps the water temperature consistently on the 21-22°C margin when the outside temperatures are like 30-35°. If it's hotter, I turn on the Ac for some time (for the good of me and my axies lool). Some people use the frozen bottle of water too.

Those fans are connected to a temperature controller, so they turn on and off automatically at given temperature levels. It's easy to diy and way cheaper than buying clip fans.
IMG_20201103_112844.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1