Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Looking for the fastest/easiest way to test tank water

yma

Reaction score
Hey, so I was wondering what the easiest/fastest way to test your tank water (for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, etc.) is?
Testing the water with the strips is pretty tedious and the big water test kits look complicated and they're extremely expensive.. any tips?
Is there a digital way to do this maybe?

I got this axie (3yo) as a birthday present.. I would've never gotten one if it wasn't for my friend showing up at my door with one.. and getting a pet unprepared like this is really not me.
But don't worry! She's very healthy and I'm putting a lot of effort into making her comfortable.

If you have any other info on the water quality and keeping the tank right, I'd love to read more about this. (this is the first aquarium I ever had)

Thanks!<3

minorhero

Reaction score
You are going to need to re-align your expectations a bit unfortunately. Test Strips are the fastest way to test water but they are not very reliable (numbers can be a bit off or vague). If you were in the states I would say to get the API Master Test kit as its not very expensive and is pretty straight forward. But you are in Europe so I'm not sure of its availability. Based on what I have seen on youtube though, you probably have access to more and better quality aquarium stores then what we have in the states. I am sure they will sell you a freshwater testing kit. You only need to be able to test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.

There are aquarium controllers out there that can test for a variety of water parameters but to get the ones that are actually accurate you are looking at hundreds of dollars as opposed to a freshwater testing kit which should cost you 20 to 30 dollars.

yma

Reaction score
You are going to need to re-align your expectations a bit unfortunately. Test Strips are the fastest way to test water but they are not very reliable (numbers can be a bit off or vague). If you were in the states I would say to get the API Master Test kit as its not very expensive and is pretty straight forward. But you are in Europe so I'm not sure of its availability. Based on what I have seen on youtube though, you probably have access to more and better quality aquarium stores then what we have in the states. I am sure they will sell you a freshwater testing kit. You only need to be able to test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.

There are aquarium controllers out there that can test for a variety of water parameters but to get the ones that are actually accurate you are looking at hundreds of dollars as opposed to a freshwater testing kit which should cost you 20 to 30 dollars.
Alright, thanks for the info:) The only problem I have with the test kits is how expensive they are.. I don't have much of a choice ig..

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
Hey, so I was wondering what the easiest/fastest way to test your tank water (for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, etc.) is?
Testing the water with the strips is pretty tedious and the big water test kits look complicated and they're extremely expensive.. any tips?

I got this axie (3yo) as a birthday present.. I would've never gotten one if it wasn't for my friend showing up at my door with one.. and getting a pet unprepared like this is really not me.
But don't worry! She's very healthy and I'm putting a lot of effort into making her comfortable.

If you have any other info on the water quality and keeping the tank right, I'd love to read more about this. (this is the first aquarium I ever had)

Thanks!<3
Minorhero is correct. Liquid test kits are the way to go. They may seem a little pricier to start, but you can get a lot of useage out of them. They are also the most accurate. The most important chemical to watch right now is ammonia since its the first to spike and the most toxic. Nitrites, Nitrates, and pH will also need to be monitored. Of all the pets to have sprung on you, axolotls are probably the worst in that they are a bit more complex to take care of. They are wonderful animals though, and if cared for properly, can be a rewarding to keep.

MnGuy

Reaction score
The cost is worth it. The liquid test kits last a long time. If it's a cost you can't or don't want to foot, you have to take a strong look inside and ask yourself if you should have an axolotl, even if it was gifted and not purchased. It's important for us to do everything we can for them, and the cost of a test kit is pretty minor in the grand scheme of their needs and the costs associated with keeping them for their lifetime.

Look for deals online and your local online ads and Facebook groups. Post a want ad. (Always be safe about online purchases.)

Good luck.

AMurry24537

Reaction score

Thanks!<3
Some pet stores will also test your water for free, but I wouldn't rely on this regularly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!