Looking to put Pothos in my Axolotl's aquarium

Mash_01

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, a buddy gave me a big Pothos Plant (Devil's Ivy,) and it says online that this plant is compatible with Axolotls and can even thrive underwater and in low light.
Just wondered if anyone had experience adding this plant to their Axolotl set-up.
Any drawbacks/adverse effects on the Axolotl?
Did the plant die out quickly and if not did it thrive and under what treatment?

Hi,
I only have records of pothos with roots in the water, the bulk of the plant (leaves) growing out of the water.
Used like this, pothos seems efficient in uptaking nitrogen compounds like nitrate.

No reference of pothos fully underwater.

Hi,
I only have records of pothos with roots in the water, the bulk of the plant (leaves) growing out of the water.
Used like this, pothos seems efficient in uptaking nitrogen compounds like nitrate.

I just put the plant in and, well...it's quite ample.
Mash is hanging out underneath the roots and seems to be enjoying the extra hiding spots.
Thankfully her caves offer enough support to keep a lot of the leaves out of the water.

Hi,

Attachments

• 20220827_134512.jpg
    20220827_134512.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 762
Wait and see ...
You'll probably have to throw out some dying leaves before they release some toxic substances in the water.

Wait and see ...
You'll probably have to throw out some dying leaves before they release some toxic substances in the water.
I still need to trim it a little bit under the water, but from what I have heard the plant can thrive if its leaves are out of water and it gets a little bit of light.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back