Lottie is sick, please advise

mogs9999

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
mogs9999
I woke up this morning to find my axolotl floating upside down , I poke at her and she didn't move , but then a few seconds later her armed moved a bit, I decided to put her in the fridge, having read about doing this when they are ill, I did this and checked back an hour later and she was sitting on the bottom , I am at work now so can't check on her further yet, am I doing the right thing and what would be the next steps to take??

You did the right thing.

It sounds like she may well need to see a vet as a matter of urgency, she sounds very poorly.

As a way of trying to diagnose the problem, could you answer a few questions for us?

How old is your axie, how long have you had her, and what is her feeding regime? Any tank mates?

How big is her tank, and what is your cleaning regime?

What substrate is in the tank, and are there any objects smaller than your axolotls head in there?

What are the water parameters (temperature, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)

How does she look other than being upside down? Skin clear? Any bloating?

Could anything have got in the tank and contaminated the water?

Can you put some photos up? Sorry to fire so many questions at you! Hope shes ok xx

How old is your axie, how long have you had her, and what is her feeding regime? Any tank mates?
Approx 2-3 months old, had her for about a month, she eats either a prawn or dried bloodworm or dried brine shrimp every other day. And she is in the tank by herself
How big is her tank, and what is your cleaning regime?
Tank is 10 imperial gallons, we have a massive filter but it set on low, and I take about 2/3 gallons out every few days and replace
What substrate is in the tank, and are there any objects smaller than your axolotls head in there? Sand in the tank, and big rocks , and a hide

What are the water parameters (temperature, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)
Usualy between 18-20 C but it has been known to rise to 23C on a couple of occasions, note sure about the ammonia and nitrate levels
How does she look other than being upside down? Skin clear? Any bloating?
She looks healthy as the day we got her, her skin is clear as we can see here insides but isn't that common as she is so young
Could anything have got in the tank and contaminated the water?
The new hide contains aqauriam safe silicon and sand , so maybe the silicon is not as aquariam safe as it says
Can you put some photos up? Sorry to fire so many questions at you! Hope shes ok xx
Well now she is in the fridge she looks healthy. Pics would be of a perfectly normal axolotl

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back