Lowering ph!

Lo12

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello!! The ph in my axolotl’s tank is sitting at around 8.2. I tested the tap water and that sits at around an 8. I know for axolotls it should sit in the sevens, and I’m sure it’s part of the cause for my axie (his name is Winston) to not eat consistently and for his filaments to not grow back. (Another story and issue in itself) I want to find some natural ways to lower it (with him remaining in the tank if possible).

My main concern with the ph imbalance is how it affects him. As when we do a water change (needs one soon as nitrate is borderline) I don’t want the shift to be to hard on him.

Any good natural ways to keep it in the right range?

Note: we keep live plants in the tank all the time (he loves them) and there’s a log (I think it’s real? I’d have to check) as well as some rocks and sand on the bottom.

Thanks for any help!
(Peep my boy!)
C4A583A4-B573-4DC7-A442-212F117752A0.jpeg

I don't know how you would feel about this (not technically "natural"), but I use SeaChem Neutral Regulator. It both lowers ph and treats your water for chlorine, chloramines, heavy metals, and detoxifies ammonia, so you don't need to use any other conditioner.

Hello!! The ph in my axolotl’s tank is sitting at around 8.2. I tested the tap water and that sits at around an 8. I know for axolotls it should sit in the sevens, and I’m sure it’s part of the cause for my axie (his name is Winston) to not eat consistently and for his filaments to not grow back. (Another story and issue in itself) I want to find some natural ways to lower it (with him remaining in the tank if possible).

My main concern with the ph imbalance is how it affects him. As when we do a water change (needs one soon as nitrate is borderline) I don’t want the shift to be to hard on him.

Any good natural ways to keep it in the right range?

Note: we keep live plants in the tank all the time (he loves them) and there’s a log (I think it’s real? I’d have to check) as well as some rocks and sand on the bottom.

Thanks for any help!
(Peep my boy!)
View attachment 90738
i do hesitate to say you should remove the rocks in the aquarium, as i can’t quite tell how large they are (i.e. bigger than his head or not) but they do look a bit small from the picture. i firmly believe that axolotls are gastroliths, but don’t think the pebble or rock size should exceed 1mm.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back