Illness/Sickness: Lumps/Bumps on larval tiger

Linus

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kaiseric
Does anyone recognize these lumps/bumps? They're under the skin, no discoloration really. The LFS this guy came from was keeping them at tropical fish temp. Can't really tell if it's getting better or worse yet, it's only been 4 days. I've spent about 40 minutes searching for a similar condition to no avail. :confused:

dermalTigerLarv.jpg

Would it be helpful for me to circle the lumps? I know the photo quality is atrocious. Has anyone ever seen this?

The tiger is eating and generally behaving fine.

I've seen lumps like that in terrestrial species. They're caused by parasitic mites.

In this case, the could be that, or some sort of topical infection from being kept in sub-optimal conditions.

Thanks Kaysie, I was thinking along these lines as well. Is there anything I can do to treat this? I'm having a difficult time finding anything on this.

I can't detect any movement within the lumps, the clearest one I can see is in the thinnest layer of skin in the tail section. There is no swelling, open sores anything like that.

The condition could be from any number of things. If you have access, a trip to a vet familiar with caudates would be in order.

5 days of saltbaths + fridging combination has done nothing to affect this. The bumps now seem to be getting worse. I contacted Ambystoma.org University of Kentucky and received the following response:

Re: Have you guys ever seen anything like this?
Actually, yes we have. Unfortunately I can’t tell you what it is either. We usually euthanize the larvae that get it. I’m guessing it could be a symptom of a viral or bacterial infection, but don’t know which ones. We have seen a bit of improvement (the bumps get smaller but do not completely go away) when the larvae are treated with Melafix. You could also try Pimafix.

Melafix® - API
PimaFix

--Laura

--------------------------------------------------------
S. Randal Voss, Ph.D., Director
Laura Muzinic, M.Sc., Associate Director
Chris Muzinic, RALAT, Curator
Liz Theisen, Assistant Curator
Ambystoma Genetic Stock Center
University of Kentucky
101 TH Morgan Building
Lexington, KY 40506
Phone: 859-323-5679
Fax: 859-257-1717
ambystoma@uky.edu
Ambystoma Genetic Stock Center

Did a lot of research on melafix/pimafix, found a lot of old threads, best summary I can find is here:
melafix-pimafix-how they work dont work

Blegh.
Your thoughts..

If I was going to make a guess, I would look first at viral infections, then at a possibility of some form of cancer, and the last option being some form of encysted parasite (which is unlikely). Some of the ambystom tiger salamander viruses are somewhat related to lymphocystis (which forms growths in some fish) and while I couldn't find it off hand, I think lymphocystic virus has been known to jump to larval caudates (but I may be misremembering it).

A viral infection would explain why there has been poor recovery in animals seen elsewhere as treatment for viral infections can be difficult.

Ed

Quick update:
I've dosed the tiger tank with indian almond leaves, the bumps size have greatly reduced though a few are stubbornly not going away YET. Seems like things are moving in the right direction, progress is just slow. The tiger is still eating like champions, and overall health has greatly improved.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back