Lumpy toes

axygirl20

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over the last few weeks ive noticed that my axolotl has small white lump like things on his toes. The thing is he has become more active, eating really well and doesnt seem to be showing any other symptoms.
He is in a large tank by himself with both a filter and a tank fan. His temp is at around 21oc although falling.
I do regular water tests and changes,the tests dont show anything unwanted in the water.

Hi Axygirl,

Would you be able to put up some photos?

Cheers.

I will try and get pictures, but every time I'm about to take a picture of him, he moves.

And, are the "lumps" in a weird place as they're on his toes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have they just shown up or have you not noticed them until now? I have a wee leucistic with lumpy toes, he has some lumps instead of pointy-ended toes or they bend weirdly. He's just always been that way though. Perhaps its the same thing?

I think they have been there a while n i have just noticed them, will try and get some pictures if i can. They dont seem to be causing him any harm as he gets on with what he has to do. The only thing is that he is becoming more active now due to a change in food source (*clean* composting worms)

Hi axygirl20,

In the absence of a photo I would hazard a guess that they are a regeneration issue and if so nothing to worry about.

Hi all,

Photos are really essential before i can assess the condition. If there are multiple nodular growths on the toes, it is more likely to be a pathology as opposed to 1 single bump. The location of where the lesions are also indicative. If all the lesions are situated at the same site on each toe, it could just be a genetic defect or regeneration problem. If the bumps are haphazardly situated without any particular pattern or symmetry, it is more likely to be infection/microabscess.

Some axies are prone to getting microabscesses on their feet. Normally these axies are a subclnical carrier of an infection, they also tend to be on the skinny side and more prone to illness. The feet and toes have very fine capillary network that 'trap' sceptic emboli (bacterial clumps) that quickly fester into the lesions.

Cheers.

The lumps on the toes look like little spots, on a few of the toes there is more than 1 spot. He is a little thin but i am just changing his food source he wasnt thin before and i think he may of had 1 or 2 spots when he was bigger.

Hi Axygirl,

Do the white lesions bleed, discharge any fluids, ulcerate or scab in any way? Do you notice an increase in number of spots or increase in size of spots? Are the edges of the spots irregular or regular?

Cheers.

I am posting pictures on Jodies behalf (it's a long story!)

I took these today of her axie, Axel. The lumps on the feet are white and spherical. They are all over the 'soles' of her feet, not on every toe, as far as I can make out, but a lot of the toes are affected.

There also seems to be a similar white lump on the end of her nose and some small lesions on the tip of her tail. Though the tail could be just an old injury and a little scarring. I noticed she was quite pale, though Jodie says she does 'colour up' when she's active.

Axel is also quite slim for a female and not very long for an estimated 2 year old axie. (but perhaps I'm just used to my big monsters!) Jodie has recently started feeding Axel worms though and she says since the change of diet Axel lost a little weight. I advised her to feed Axel more often to get a bit weight back on her, so she's going to feed her with 2 or 3 small worms a day for now.

I noticed that Axel also has some 'loopy' gill filaments that were shown on a previous thread with somebody elses axie, don't know if this is relevant.

I have advised Jodie to raise the water level in her tank as it was only half full and also to remove the stones as they look a swallowable size to me.

I also identified Axel as a female when all along Jodie thought she was a male!
Jodie showed me some older photos she had of Axel with a cloacal bulge, but today there was definately none! I'm assuming therefore at 2 years old, she would have to be a she! I thought maybe the previous 'bulge' was from Axel being 'ready' to lay eggs, if the right guy came along! Could that be so?

Thanks for your help.

Edit: The lumps do not bleed or discharge anything, no scabs or soreness. She is using the feet normally. One other thing that was noted, her black 'mature-look' toenails have gone white.

Attachments

• Jodies axie 003.jpg
    Jodies axie 003.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 996
  • Jodies axie 006.jpg
    Jodies axie 006.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 469
  • Jodies axie 007.jpg
    Jodies axie 007.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 811
  • Jodies axie 008.jpg
    Jodies axie 008.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 514
  • Jodies axie 010.jpg
    Jodies axie 010.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 788
  • Jodies axie 011.jpg
    Jodies axie 011.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 488
  • Jodies axie 012.jpg
    Jodies axie 012.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,160
  • Jodies axie 014.jpg
    Jodies axie 014.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 693
Last edited:
Hi Jodie and kerry,

The lesions on the feet are likely to be (80-90% chance) mycobacterial abscesses. This type of bacterial abscess is different to usual types of bacterial infection. Once an axie gets this, it is almost impossible to completely eradicate it from their system. The infection is carried systemically throughout their body in deeper tissue layers, internal organs, blood and lymph.

The axie is a permanent carrier and will continually flare up, recrudesce and shed infectious particles. This bacteria can also transiently affect other species and humans. Hence you would have to permanently isolate this axie from any other axies. Feeder fish cannot be 'shared'. You would also have to avoid touching the axie with your bare hands.

The infection is quite covert and insidious in that many axies that are carriers can look outwardly quite fine, but in times of stress, concurrent illness, malnutrition etc., it quickly takes over and start forming these multiple nodular abscesses throughout the body. The most likely regions for these to first form are in the feet due to the fine blood vessel network that 'traps' microscopic clusters of bacteria (septic emboli).

Carriers normally leave some tell tale signs. They are runty, susceptible to illnesses, poor conformation or might start out having small red patches on the body. When the disease takes hold, microabscesses will form not only on the skin but internal organs. Kidneys and liver may be affected, the rudimentary lungs and gills may be affected, even the brain. The clinical signs will vary in severity depending on the organs involved. Many axies with severe stage of this infection will succumb to respiratory distress, osmo-regulatory imbalances, anaemia and other general illness signs.

You would have to fridge the axie and make a vet appointment. It will be highly recommended you get the vet to perform a culture and acid-fast stain on samples collected. I also highly recommend getting an antibiotic sensitivity test done. This bacteria is very resistant to many antibiotics and many more effective drugs used in other species cannot be used on axies. The selection of drugs to use is very limited. Amikacin and Enrofloxacin can help in some cases, but in my experience even a lot of them don't respond to these two antibiotics. A note not to perform any salt or tea baths. These baths will force the bacteria deeper into tissue layers and get even more difficult to treat.

I hope it goes well for you. My golden albino (apollo) died yesterday from battling this condition for 3 years. It just deteriorated to the point the quality of life is so affected that i just euthanased it. I hope you get the axie to the vet in time to prevent it from getting worse.

Cheers.

Hi Rayson,

I became quiet worried when I read your post. One of my axies (Harris) has a growth on his foot, but it's not like Axel's feet. I thought it was like a faulty healing, because a couple of days ago my other (very enthousiastic) axie snapped when I was feeding them, but accidently snapped at Harris. I couldn't see if he was hurt, but a few days later I saw this reddish growth. It's only one, at the top of his foot, otherwise he's healthy, maybe a bit skinny. On the first picture (the bad one with the reflection) you can see the contours of the growth, on the second one you can see the growth from the front.

3751379459_45eae1b937.jpg

3751377077_d5861a425c.jpg

Hi Florienke,

The lesion on your axie's foot don't look characteristically mycobacterial like. I would say its more likely a normal abscess. Mycobacterial abscesses tend to be tiny but multiple, almost like an entire body 'zit' in the worst case.

It doesn't look like a regeneration issue either. Overall, I am less worried about your axie.

However, to be on the safe side i would recommend you bring it to a vet.

Cheers.

I think I found a vet that does caudates in my city, I'm going to call him tomorrow to see if he can help me. I did a photoshoot yesterday and I got a better picture of his foot:

3756885261_cb0191f739.jpg

Hi Florieka,

From your latest photo, it actually resembles a 'faulty' regneration issue. It doesn't particularly look like an abscess. However an abscess is still a possibility. It doesn't look too serious and the growth can be easily removed with a quick and minimally invasive surgical procedure.

Cheers.

Hi Rayson!

Thank you so much for your reply, this makes me feel lots better! I'm going to call the vet tomorrow anyway, better to be safe then sorry, right? :D He has been regenerating not quiet well in the past. When I got him, he had an extra toe on his other front foot. I think it makes him look charming, lol.

For thoses who are interested after 4 days in the vets ive had axel home now 4 a week. The lumps on his toes are slowly going. They were bacterial or are at least reacting with a antibacterial injection (into a worm) Axel is eating loads more, is more active and seems to be back to his old self. He is doing fine now and the worry of loosing him is gone completly :)
The injection he is on (or the worms) is called baytril and is diluted with saline. He is given .1ml every day. Whilst at the vets he wasnt eating so was giving the injections into his body. Now he is eating the "jabs" are put into the worms which are gobbled up with no problems.
If any one has any suggestions on injecting the worms it would be greatly appreacheated :)

Hi,

This is a question i get quite frequently from clients and vet students. It is best to seperate the total dose amount into 2 or 3 aliquots by injecting into 2 or 3 worms rather than into a single worm, provided your axie has good appetite.

I find the best way is to put the earthworms into the freezer (not fridge) and allow them to get semi (or quarter) frozen. The worm will become slightly tougher to allow easier injection, but yet remain 'hollow' enough to retain the medication.

The best needles to use are the insulin needles or 25 gauge needles. They are very fine. Request the type that are short as well as you don't want to penetrate through the worm.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back