Macro filter

simon

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Display Name
Simon
I received a Nikon D50 for my birthday recently and was thinking of getting a macro lens for it. Trouble is, being a student I have very little money and so have been thinking about a macro filter instead. Does anyone have any experience with these and if so would you recommend them?

Thanks for any help

Unless you have a good quality lens, using a 'macro filter' is not going to improve the quality of your shots by a whole lot. Although if you can afford one, and it's Nikon-compatible, you can always buy it now, try it out, and buy a good lens later.

Another cheap way is to buy a big magnifying glass and jury-rig it to your camera (or make a stand for it).

I don't know if you mean the same, but there are close -up lenses which you can screw on to your normal lense. They are relatively cheap and come in +1 up to +10. I would advise to buy a +4 or +5. I use them all the time, and although you get some un sharpness in the edges of your image, for newts and salamanders it isn't a problem. They are much easier in the field as well. So if you are not a professional photographer this is a very good and cheap solution.

Thanks guys. Sergé, the only thing I could find, the shop assistants called filters but you do screw them onto the normal lens. If they work then I may as well get one.

Simon,

that should be the same, they are like magnifying glasses. Just try them in the shop, than you can see what they can do...

Sergé

It`s a good compromise but there is one disadvantage of cheap close-up lens. They suffer from chromatic aberration which sometimes can destroy a photo.

I know I'm a little late weighing in on this but may I suggest the 60mm Nikon micro lens. It's a pretty simple lens with little to go wrong with it and it does a superb job on the APS sensor size Nikon cameras. I have had one for several years and I wouldn't be without it. Right now from Jessops it's £350 (http://www.jessops.com/Store/s24095/0/Lenses/Nikon/60mm-f28-AF-Micro-D/details.aspx?&IsSearch=y&pageindex=1&comp=n) but you should be able to get it off Ebay for a lot less. If you have access to the American market, it's about 3/5 the British price (the exchange rate is rather good right now if you have pounds).

Hi, thank you for your advice

(Message edited by aartse_tuyn on January 03, 2007)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back