Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Macro modes

J

jesper

My camera have a macro mode and a supermacro mode.
When shooting macro I always get very dark photos and they are also often out of focus.
Now the problem is that when I push the trigger halfway down to focus, it starts the focusing process, focuses perfectly then goes past the focusing point.....Why??

Sorry if asking rookie questions...

J

john

Macro modes on cameras frequently trigger small apertures (high f numbers) and this lets less light in. Whether your camera takes account of this or not I can't tell you, but in aquarium macro photography it's essential to meter for light off your subject (at least partially) rather than just the entire photo.

As for your focus issue, are you sure you aren't blurring the photo due to slow shutter speed+hand movement?

I

i.

Is it possible the camera focuses on the glass instead of on the subject behind?

J

john

I doubt it, given that he says the subject is in focus when the photo is taken.

J

jesper

Hi,
Nope the glass is not the problem.
My camera has a manual mode where I can set both aperture and shutter speed and also lock focusing distance. I can also use spot metering or program modes etc etc. Man, so many functions so little time....

N

nate

Well, I've just spent a maddening couple of hours trying to photo a spermatophore from my E. spelaeus. To my knowledge, they've never been seen before and so not knowing how to use this camera is really coming back to haunt me and this is the best I can do. It stands about 2.5mm tall, but I can only get the camera to focus on it from the top
angry.gif

Comments and strategies on how to better photo them in the future by some of you digital camera wizards (John, Tim) would definitely be appreciated.
14926.jpg

J

joseph

It could be focusing through the subject to the background. I have a ton of pics where the subject is blurry yet the background is clear. Ghost shrimp are especially annoying to take pics of. Unless they are right up against something, the camera likes to focus right through them!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!