Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mah Plants Is Die'n Mahn!

sde

Reaction score
Ok as you may have been able to guess from the title my plants are dying.

I have very little experience with planted aquariums.....well this is my first.
I have a bare bottom that I'd like to keep that way so I put some sand in some bottles and tubs and put the plants in those.
Now I got some store bought and some wild caught.
The wild caught is doing the worst but they both are doing bad. I overlooked one very important aspect: Food.
I just don't know what to feed e'm. I thought is was as easy as plant the plants and let e'm grow. The problem is that I realized it just wasn't that easy and I had no clue how people maintain there plants, I have never heard anyone say that you need to feed your aquarium plants. Don't they just feed off something in the water? I am in the process of cycling my tank so should I have waited to put them in? I'm stumped! I just don't know what to do! Any help is appreciated, if you have any suggestions please say them.

Also!
The wc plants were in a marsh that had a water temp much colder than the tank there in now ( probably anywhere from 8-15 degrees warmer ). Please help, Mah Plants Is Die'n Mahn! :wacko:.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The problem with plants from outdoors is that they usually need a lot more light than we can provide indoors. Even with an aquarium light, it's only going to provide a small fraction of what they were getting, so they usually die. The temperature difference could also be a factor.

Purchased plants may do better, but you have to select them carefully. Any that need warm temperature or lots of light will probably not do well in a caudate setup. Annoyingly, pet shops often sell plants that aren't actually aquatic plants. See:
Common Plant Listing

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
I have a planted tank and have to dose it with fertilizers and carbon, Its very easy though and the chemicals do not even bother my shrimp and shrimp are known for their sensitivity.

sde

Reaction score
Thanks for the info!

Elli,
What kind of fertilizer? Just like the kind you use for house plants?
And were do you buy your carbon from? Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!