Making a background (again)

Niels D

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I've posted a build topic before, but in the end I didn't like the result. That's why I removed the background which I made in topic http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...c/86656-making-background-another-method.html. I ended up with this:

So it's possible to remove a background which is made into your tank while grout was used to fill in the crevices. Had to scrape off the grout residu and remove the sealant a little to get me this:

It already was an old tank, so it's got a couple of scratches. As long as it's waterproof I'm not complaining about a tank which I got for free.

The first step was to get me a piece of roof insulation which fitted in the tank. I'm using a kind of insulation which is a hard kind of foam (couple of brands: Kingspan, Roofmate and Renova). It's not cheap, but you can find second hand foam plates on the internet most of the time. You can alter the size easily using a saw. This step is easy of course:

You can start carving the plate into a desireable form straight away, but I wanted a little more depth. I glued on a couple of pieces using silicone sealant. The idea was to let the exhaust of the water pump end in a puddle above the water surface of the main area. Shaped the pieces a little using a kitchen knife.

I still didn't glue the background into the tank. First I wanted to shape it out of the tank so it's easy to reach everything. Using a little sharp knife I got the shape which I wanted. I ended the proces rubbing everything tightly with a rough brush. On the first picture you can see the difference between the fully shaped part on the left and the unfinished part on the right. Second picture shows you the result.

Now it was time to fix the tubing for the water pump. Made a little ditch into the back for the tubing and the cable for the pump. Glued the tubing into place. On the second picture you can see the end of the tubing, the future exhaust of the pump. It's placed above the puddle which I carved out. The other end of the tube has got to reach the front, so I had to remove a little piece of the background at the bottom.

I then added three layers of thin grout mixed with little concrete bonder adhesive (brands: Flevopol, ACE concrete bonder, Quikrete) which makes it more flexible and strong. Let it dry for a day to let it harden. It already starts to look like rock.

Next step is colouring. If you start with a light colour and let it dry, you can add a darker colour which you have to wash of with a wet piece of cloth so this darker colour only sticks on the less portruding pieces of the background. Adding a even darker colour has to be washed off even more. In the end you can use a mix, thin as water, with black "tile grout" which you have to wash off almost entirely so it sticks only deep within the crevices. For each new layer you have to wait until everything is dry off course. In the end you can add lighter colours using a brush of course. Be creative and do not hesitate to experiment.

Differen styles can be made using different techniques:

Stick the pump in a plastic container and fill everything with sponges. You can hide this underneath the sand or substrate.

I use river sand as a substrate. I've added some rocks as well to keep the containter in place. Then I added water and some plants. It's too bad I can't seem to take a good picture after the tank is finished. The vid isn't very good either, but I guess you can see how the result looks like. It's a pretty easy method and it's also fun to do.

New tank H.orientalis - YouTube

modestum

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks fantastic! I have an empty 40 gallon breeder, that I am going to try your technique on!!!

Niels D

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Are you and Conrad the same person...?!

Haha. Yes I'm Coenraad van Biezenmortel on facebook. My real name is Niels D (eijkers) though. Don't like using my real name while using facebook. On forums I use Niels D, because I'm selling a lot less nonsense when I'm not using facebook.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
O_O I´m not usually one for this kind of decorations but that last one is bloody amazing.

Niels D

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Thanks guys. Just a few more tanks and all of them are equipped with a background. I like this last one, but I prefer my H. orientalis background though. After a while the grout gets covered with mosses and dirt and it looks way more realistic. Shrimp love to hide in the cracks and the snails search the surface for tasty morsels. I'm now working on a P. ruber background at this moment. Above the surface I made use of concrete binder adhesive (Flevopol) mixed with fern root grindings and turf pulp. This gets covered with moss if you rub it in with Java moss and when everything remains humid enough. I've applied it on expanding foam like clay. I use this for my frog and gecko vivs. Water will flow over the fake rocks on the left. In the middle there's room for some plants and on the right I've used some cork bark.

JoshBA

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Josh
How do you silicone the backgrounds in? Do you completely cover the back, or just siliicone it in around the edges? I'm definately going to have to try to make one of these.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
Do you think in a model like that last, rocky one, ferns could attach themselves? I´ve always had a fantasy about a fern/moss terrarium and this would make an excellent lightweight substitute for a rock background, provided it can support being rooted on by plants. I know there are other options that can, but this one looks better xD

Niels D

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I think this could be possible if the layer of grout is thick/strong enough. Mosses are no problem even with a thin layer. That's a good idea of course.

As long as Kimmy and I both have a house to sell, we can't buy one together. When we do however we already got plans how to make our big newt and salamander shed with built in vivaria. Fake rocks aren't necessary anymore. We also wish to make a tropical room for our lizards and frogs. When the time comes we will have al lot of work to do.

Last edited:

Muddy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you think in a model like that last, rocky one, ferns could attach themselves? I´ve always had a fantasy about a fern/moss terrarium and this would make an excellent lightweight substitute for a rock background, provided it can support being rooted on by plants. I know there are other options that can, but this one looks better xD

Setting tree-fern fiber into the background would probably work. You could make life much easier with that expanding foam stuff as well, but I bet you could skewer it in too. Id silicone any part of it the fern fiber that'd touch the curing foam though. I've got a few orchids who definitely don't hate it :D

Niels D

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I've tried many methods before and expanding foam is one of my least favourites. You can't carve it just as well as this hard foam. The only times I use expanding foam is when I make vivs for frogs or geckos or like the P.ruber background as seen above. Expanding foam doesn't work well for fake rocks, except when you want to create round curves.

Natalie

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I've tried many methods before and expanding foam is one of my least favourites. You can't carve it just as well as this hard foam. The only times I use expanding foam is when I make vivs for frogs or geckos or like the P.ruber background as seen above. Expanding foam doesn't work well for fake rocks, except when you want to create round curves.

Hard foam isn't the same as "styrofoam" is it? I had a huge, thick square of it which used to be insulating a building, but when I tried to cut it the other day, it made a big mess with all the tiny round particles blowing all over my yard:mad:.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Paige1warren:
    Also, she was fine at the higher temperature. Perfectly healthy and never showed signs of de stress. Just thought it being colder would make her happier and digest a little slower! (She’s a pig :p )
    +1
    Unlike
  • SubZero:
    is it normal for a tiger to jump at you from being the glass
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    @Paige1warren That should be fine. I wouldn't suddenly put her in very cold water without acclimatisation, but a few degrees over the course of two hours shouldn't be a problem at all.
    +1
    Unlike
  • AlexisJG:
    Is anyone online? I need help badly
    +1
    Unlike
  • AlexisJG:
    I have had my 2 axolotls since June 2020 and I had hoped they would mature the same gender but unfortunately they are not. I am currently on vacation and planned to separate them once I returned, my axolotls are currently being cared for by a friend who knows the basics to care for them properly. A melanoid and a leucistic. I had a feeling but didn't prioritize it enough and now I have many many eggs in the tank with both of my axolotls. I have zero experience with eggs and cannot really care for juvenile axolotls but I really DO NOT want to kill them. What should I do? Are my axolotls okay being in the same tank with them? would the eggs be okay all together in a tank by themselves? Where can I find someone to care for them and hatch them?I'm so stressed and worried I just want the best for them all.
    +1
    Unlike
  • axie owner:
    you are going to have to get a bucket and put the eggs in that. they can hatch anytime between 11 and 20 days. order in brine shrimp eggs and get your friend to watch a video on hatching them. make sure your friend does 100% water changes every day. keep the water around 64digres and make sure your friend sends daily updates on them. i found kitchen salt works for the brine shrimp eggs. hope this helps.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Gots2knowme2:
    I am a new owner of two juvenile axolotls that are Lucie's. One has black eyes and one has silver eyes. Is that common or rare?
    +1
    Unlike
  • FP.Foxy:
    A few days ago, my Axolotl was about to die, there was something wrong with the water but he’s doing fine now. His skin is still cracked and his red things are still white
    +1
    Unlike
  • Paige1warren:
    Hi guys.. I might of made an error and need some advice. One of the hides in my tank is too small for my axie now, but I did not want to buy another hide because they are expensive, so I decided to DIY one. I used a Tupperware (cut into a little home) and glued rocks from outside and plants on it. The problem is, I washed the rocks with soap and hot water. I completely wasn’t thinking. When I washed them there was no soap residue that was visible on the rocks, and the rocks have been drying for 3 days on the container. So it has been 3 days since I washed them. I used aquarium safe silicone to glue them on. It was fully dry tonight so I decided to put it in my tank. I had it in for about 3 mins until I realized j had washed the rocks in soap, and I took it out immediately. Should I be worried??? I’m really freaking out, I don’t want anything to happen to my baby! I was truly not thinking. I also read that it was safe to use rocks from outside, but now I’m not sure? Can anyone help
    +1
    Unlike
  • Saturn:
    @Paige1warren, Since you took it out straight away it should be ok but I'd still be doing a big water change. When I was a teen, I took some rocks from outside, washed them (probably in soap) and put them in my turtle tank. He died a week or so later and I've never used any rocks from the garden since because you just don't know what's been on them, such as pesticide and I suppose the mineral composition of the rock comes in to play too. Letting them dry for a few days before adding them also would have helped so you should be fine
    +1
    Unlike
  • Paige1warren:
    @Saturn, okay, thank you so much! Firstly, I’m so sorry about your turtle :(. My lotl seems to be fine, I haven’t noticed any changes or signs of destress. I do 25% weekly water changes (I have a fully cycled tank), but I will do a 50% change today. I hope that everything turns out fine. Axies are pretty good at showing they are not well or stressed so I’m hoping that I got the rocks out fast enough. Thank you again!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Saturn:
    @Paige1warren, Thanks hun and you're absolutely right, axolotls are so sensitive it would've showed signs. Glad your lotl is ok :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Pookisoo:
    Hii my tiger salamander has a black bump on his head, its looks like a little spot but its forming into a bump and its like making a hole..? You can tell i need help , please help😁
    +1
    Unlike
  • Pookisoo:
    Do i just give him a salt bath?
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    You need to take him to the vet if there's a hole that's forming in his head.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Tanker:
    New to site. Have a Golden Albino and a Black Melanoid
    +1
    Unlike
  • Tanker:
    Tank size 40 gal. 2 filter pumps /substrate roughed ceramic easy to clean / feed each one night crawler every 3 rd day
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Ceramic substrate? That sounds interesting. What should I imagine by that?
    +1
    Unlike
  • AMurry24537:
    Can't say if this is what's being referred to, but I had some ceramic tiles in an aquarium for a while. I used a silicone sealant to secure them to the bottom and to each other. It worked well for about 6 months, but eventually a little water got through my imperfect seal and started creating mold problems
    +2
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Ooh, tiles of course. I was thinking of those ceramic rings/balls you can buy as filter medium, but tiles make more sense. Thanks
    +1
    Unlike
  • Stacy:
    Hi there, I am a new Axolotl lover & owner of two cuties! They are little over 6 months old now. I have a divider and decided to see how they would be together because they always tried to get to each other threw the border/wall.
    +1
    Unlike
  • JoyJiang:
    In PowerSchool, what is your current grade for this class?Do you have any missing or incomplete assignments for this class?If yes, what assignments do you plan to complete before the end of the marking period (March 25th)?What can I do to help you get your grade to where you need it to be before the end of the marking period?
    +1
    Unlike
  • JoyJiang:
    Oh shoot wrong thing
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • JoyJiang:
    Looolllllll
    +1
    Unlike
    JoyJiang: Looolllllll +1