Illness/Sickness: Male axolotl very swollen cloaca and writhing around

wolfspirit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
i have two axolotls (one male and female) the male has a swollen cloaca (it is more swollen than when he has laid the sperm sacs about 3-4 weeks ago). he is also very stressed (gills are right forward) and he is writhing around the tank twisting and squirming.

the water also smells quite bad despite doing a water change 1.5 weeks ago and having a big filter (the filter has a trickle spray bar to reduce water current).

i really don't know what this is or what to do can any one please help

Ryan

all i can really say is check your parameters of the water, maybe fridge the axies, and possibly check the filter medium.

Do you dechlorinate your water? How long have you had your tank set up? How big is your tank? Doing a water change every week and a half doesn't sound adequate.

Most people do ~20% a week, in an established tank. If your tank is newly set up and not cycled, or if it's very small, you'll have to do much more frequent water changes. It could be as often as 20% a day.

i use natural spring water the tank has been set up for 6 to 9 months. The tank is 24.9 U.S. gallons (97.0 liters). I tend to do a 50% water change every 1 to 2 weeks. It might not be relevant but the filter i have is the fluval u4 (which is rated for a tank bigger than mine). i will do more frequent water changes though.

he seems to be a bit calmer today but his gills are still curled right forward i have not been able to see his cloaca as he has been hiding in the plants.

thanks
Ryan

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back