Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Male Bolitoglossa mexicana

Jay Redbond

Reaction score
Hello All,

Just thought I would share some photos of this beautiful Salamander I found in Belize last year.

Hope to get some in captivity one day and set up a breeding program with them.

What a stunner, enjoy :happy:

Attachments

• IMG_0316.jpg
    IMG_0316.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 1,487
  • IMG_0332.jpg
    IMG_0332.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 1,456
  • IMG_0335.jpg
    IMG_0335.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 686
  • IMG_0317.jpg
    IMG_0317.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,470
  • IMG_0315.jpg
    IMG_0315.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,385

methodik

Reaction score
Hello Jay,

Thank you SO much for posting. I am really interested in Bolitoglossines and at the moment reading up as much as I can, and setting up a group for breeding would be a dream to me as well.

Is it similar to B. dofleini, that males are more "rare", because they occur in the heights of plantation ? Eager to hear something about that trip to Belize, you need to tell us more :)

Once again - thank you for the pictures, they are amazin.

Greetings
Jakob

Jay Redbond

Reaction score
Hello Jay,

Thank you SO much for posting. I am really interested in Bolitoglossines and at the moment reading up as much as I can, and setting up a group for breeding would be a dream to me as well.

Is it similar to B. dofleini, that males are more "rare", because they occur in the heights of plantation ? Eager to hear something about that trip to Belize, you need to tell us more :)

Once again - thank you for the pictures, they are amazin.

Greetings
Jakob
Hi Jakob,

Unfortunately I was there before the rainy season so that was the only one I found. We only had one heavy down pour, an this little guy was probably trying to catch an early female. I'm not certain about the males being rarer than the females, but they are apparently very common in Belize.

I have got a few projects that I would like to set up out there so will be going back ASAP.

Belize is a beautiful place it has amazing animals and the locals are very friendly. When I return it will be during the rainy season so I can look into your question about males being rarer.

Cheers

Jay

Last edited:

Aneides

Reaction score
All tropical salamanders are aweome, but Bolitoglossa sp. seen to capture my eye. What a beautiful speciman!

Aneides

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!