Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Male Dart Frog Transporting

berksmike

Reaction score
I have a lovely group of 6 Epipedobates anthonyi who are prolific breeders.
Whilst I have pulled most clutches to rear them separately I have left one clutch in situ. The result is this morning I found a male transporting about 20 tadpoles. Great to see them exhibiting natural egg caring behaviour!

SAM_0093.jpg

SAM_0092.jpg

SAM_0094.jpg

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That's awesome! I've never been much into dart frogs, but that one's pretty cool looking. And to get natural behavior in captivity is always a good sign.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Lovely sight!
And that´s a nice bunch of tadpoles too, well done.

berksmike

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments guys.

Just thought Id update you with some pictures of some of the froglets:

DSC01338.jpg

DSC01336.jpg

SAM_0143.jpg

SAM_0141.jpg

And here some of the adults again (the first one is one of my favourite photos and still makes me chuckle!):

DSC01241-1.jpg

DSC01399-1.jpg

DSC01401-1.jpg

They really are a great species, full of character and very hardy so great if you want to get into dart frogs

axolotlfriend

Reaction score
very cool pic

i really want to get into dart frogs but it seems a little more complicated than keeping sals and a little more cash consuming

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the photos with us, Mike.

I assume the 'frogpile' is a case of complicated/confused amplexus? Seems pretty common in a lot of species: if it moves, grab it and try and mate. Who cares if it's not female, or even of the same species (or family, at times!)

Logan

Reaction score
Great photos,
I love this species. I had thought about getting some in the past because of their wonderful call. My D.leucomelas and P.vittatus call all day and I thought these guys may be a perfect song to add to the chorus. Maybe one day when I get more room. Congrats for sure on the offspring.
Logan

berksmike

Reaction score
Cheers - they are a great species to keep and like you say they have a wonderful call.
Ive only ever seen that sort of overenthusiastic amplexus a couple of times - otherwise they seem to be able to restrain themselves lol

berksmike

Reaction score
Just thought I'd post my tad setups.
I'm raising my E.anthonyi tads communally in a deep faunarium with pothos, hornwort and oak leaves:

SAM_0203.jpg

I recently got some Dendrobates tinctorious "Alanis" tads off a friend and have them in here:

SAM_0204-1.jpg

SAM_0205-1.jpg

This was the inner part of a RUB obviously intended for storing nick-naks. You get two of these in the rub and they are perfect for raising tads individually i think.

Up until recently I had been using indian almond leaves and/or oak for making my tadpole tea but noticed black alder cones on Pollywog and have started using these:

SAM_0207-1.jpg

You do seem to get much more tadpole tea out of these than the almond leaves and they are relatively inexpensive.

Feeding wise I have been using fish flakes, tadpole bites and freeze dried bloodworm/tubifex but have recently found a sinking granule with a high spirulina content with added carotenoid for colour enhancement which I have started using and the tadpoles love it. If anyone is interested I can pass on a link for it.
Cheers

martasauce

Reaction score
If and when we move back to blighty I want to get in to some frog action.

Are they easy to care for? Do they require heating / cooling? Are they expensive to feed?

berksmike

Reaction score
Most darts need heating at least during the winter. Most need a daytime temperature in excess of 22C but depends on the individual species. The combination of a lighting unit and a warm room is normally enough to maintain the temps in the warm months and for cooler months I have a heatmat on the viv back attached to a thermostat.

They do require small prey so micro crickets can be bought but its much better to breed your own flies, weevils, springtails, aphids etc to feed them as then you dont have to rely on suppliers. This aspect is the part of keeping darts that probably requires the most practice and its good to start trying whilst you are preparing your vivarium or thinking about species to go for.

Hope this helps

Whatamithinking

Reaction score
where can i buy the trays you are using for your tadpoles?

Just thought I'd post my tad setups.
I'm raising my E.anthonyi tads communally in a deep faunarium with pothos, hornwort and oak leaves:

SAM_0203.jpg

I recently got some Dendrobates tinctorious "Alanis" tads off a friend and have them in here:

SAM_0204-1.jpg

SAM_0205-1.jpg

This was the inner part of a RUB obviously intended for storing nick-naks. You get two of these in the rub and they are perfect for raising tads individually i think.

Up until recently I had been using indian almond leaves and/or oak for making my tadpole tea but noticed black alder cones on Pollywog and have started using these:

SAM_0207-1.jpg

You do seem to get much more tadpole tea out of these than the almond leaves and they are relatively inexpensive.

Feeding wise I have been using fish flakes, tadpole bites and freeze dried bloodworm/tubifex but have recently found a sinking granule with a high spirulina content with added carotenoid for colour enhancement which I have started using and the tadpoles love it. If anyone is interested I can pass on a link for it.
Cheers

yasmine

Reaction score
Do you have a fts? I love this species, they have a very loud call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1