Marbled or spotted salamander help

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was wondering if marbled or spotted salamanders were legal two keep in Virginia

The way the law reads its illegal to import a captive bred amphibian without a permit but legal to capture and keep a wild one. Or at least that's my interpretation. If it were me I would contact someone in the DWR and ask them. And by this I do not mean call or email the regular customer service number. That's practically guaranteed to be worthless. Instead I would look through a directory and find a person who is either in amphibian ecology or outreach and contact them. Ask if a permit is needed to import a native species for personal use (assuming you plan in importing). If you are just keeping one you find yourself in the wild then it seems pretty clear.

They gave me a new herpetologist numbers but you're right it is pretty much worthless but thanks and I tried the herpetologist but they wouldn't answer

They gave me a new herpetologist numbers but you're right it is pretty much worthless but thanks and I tried the herpetologist but they wouldn't answer
In that case I would ask for an importation permit and fill it out and submit it. If they approve it you are clearly good to go.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back