Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Marbled Salamander won’t eat

Cyd

Reaction score
Hi. I have 2 female marbled salamanders that I’ve had since November if 2019. They are in a 15 gallon tank with eco earth and moss, two hiding rocks and a large water dish. One of them has been great with eating- taking up to 5 waxworms at a time from tongs. She will come out everyday and peek her head out, almost like she’s asking to eat. The other one- I have NEVER seen her eat. I assume she is because she’s still alive. I’ve tried everything- red wrigglers, crickets, waxworms, earth worms.... she won’t eat. I am very concerned. I have placed the food in the tank, hoping she eats, but now I’m noticing my good eater getting really big! Like, obese looking. So, now I’m not sure that my picky eater is eating? And she looks like she slightly has lost weight. She was always smaller than the other however. I am going to get a 10 gallon tank and separate them to monitor her eating. I’ve done it before in a smaller tank, but now I keep my waxworms in there while I gutload them. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi. I have 2 female marbled salamanders that I’ve had since November if 2019. They are in a 15 gallon tank with eco earth and moss, two hiding rocks and a large water dish. One of them has been great with eating- taking up to 5 waxworms at a time from tongs. She will come out everyday and peek her head out, almost like she’s asking to eat. The other one- I have NEVER seen her eat. I assume she is because she’s still alive. I’ve tried everything- red wrigglers, crickets, waxworms, earth worms.... she won’t eat. I am very concerned. I have placed the food in the tank, hoping she eats, but now I’m noticing my good eater getting really big! Like, obese looking. So, now I’m not sure that my picky eater is eating? And she looks like she slightly has lost weight. She was always smaller than the other however. I am going to get a 10 gallon tank and separate them to monitor her eating. I’ve done it before in a smaller tank, but now I keep my waxworms in there while I gutload them. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, could you provide us some photos of your animals so.we can see please?
I suspect the larger one may be gravid, as this time of year they tend to breed.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, could you provide us some photos of your animals so.we can see please?
I suspect the larger one may be gravid, as this time of year they tend to breed.
Marbled sals breed in the autumn though?

Cyd

Reaction score
I’ve attached pics of both and then of my greedy eater.
BC034F3F-0AA2-4BE1-BB0C-1D6634BEF4BE.jpeg
35AC964D-0EF3-47DB-99B7-4B1550379EC6.jpeg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!