March field trip

Bill

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here are some photos of my trip to a vernal pond on March 14/15. It is difficult for a 170 pound creature to arrive delicately, but after settling in and being motionless for 15 minutes I had eastern spotted newts, spotted salamanders, spring peepers and wood frogs within arms reach and all very intent on propagating their respective kinds. I never saw the h. pseudacris. They are masters of visual disguise even while loudly calling. The temperatures were in the 40s with 3 days of rain preceding. I had hoped to be ahead of the a. maculatum mating ritual but it had begun and by the end of the second day was winding down. They are quickly in and out of the pool and my guess is that the ritual is triggered by daylength. I am always left in awe by the sheer wildness and adaptedness of these wonderful creatures. In the photo of the pool, the white flecks are maculatum spermatophore. The vertical maculatum gal seems to be selecting a vegetative stalk for egg deposition. Moments after I took this shot she was engulfed in a cloud of murk stirred up by my feet. It is a problem I have when wading for pictures; next year I intend to have a catwalk over the pool for my photography. The r. sylvatica mass mating was typical of other groups on the water. These frogs were extremely wary when single, but utterly oblivious to disturbance while mating.

Attachments

• a maclatum.jpg
    a maclatum.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 339
  • a. maculatum (3).jpg
    a. maculatum (3).jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 251
  • a. maculatum.jpg
    a. maculatum.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 296
  • vernal pond.jpg
    vernal pond.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_3215.jpg
    IMG_3215.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 258
Wow, Bill I wish I lived near you! Lol Great pics!

Was that near the pumping station road?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back