Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Market shift?

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Anyone notice that it seems Cynops orientalis are becoming a bit less common? Recently, most petstores I've been to, if they carry newts, inevitably have Pachytriton labiatus, and Paramesitotriton sp. They are larger, probably tougher, and sell like hotcakes(for anywhere from $4-$10).(a lot easier than tiny C. orientalis)

Thoughts? These both seem to be highly K selected species and I doubt can sustain much harvest.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw orientalis at a Massachusetts pet shop a few weeks ago.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Sorry to interrupt with a dumb question but what does "highly K selected species" mean, please?

Thanks,

-Eva

JM29

Reaction score
I suppose Fishkeeper refers to K and r species :

- K species have rather stable populations, almost saturating the carrying capacity of their environment, with low fecundity, but few natural enemies, Examples : elephants, gorillas...
K species can suffer a lot from additional harvest, due to their low fecundity.

- r species have a high fecundity, but suffer periodic population collapse due to a lot of natural enemies. Fecundity is the main way for them to survive (r is the growing coefficient in a logistic equation). Examples : oysters, cods...

These considerations are relative, since there is no precise value to make a species absolutely K or r.

freves

Reaction score
I generally only frequent one shop these days however I have also noticed that C. orientalis have been a rare site there as well.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It might be an american thing...
Here, C.orientalis continue to be common. Paramesotriton are rare, though, and only certain shops carry them.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Even in the US it seems to be regional. The only thing you'll find here is P. labiatus and even then they are only available once a month.

Bowl of seeds

Reaction score
I have aslo noticed C.orientalis is becoming more rare in my local petshops, Like most have said there is only P.labiatus available.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've also noticed this. Hardly see C. orientalis anymore, but I do see P. labiatus. And never warty newts anymore, I saw a couple last year and bought them. Those are the last time I saw them.

ZephAmp

Reaction score
I haven't seen them for sale at pet stores; the fish stores around here carry them though.

fishkeeper

Reaction score
I suppose Fishkeeper refers to K and r species :

- K species have rather stable populations, almost saturating the carrying capacity of their environment, with low fecundity, but few natural enemies, Examples : elephants, gorillas...
K species can suffer a lot from additional harvest, due to their low fecundity.

- r species have a high fecundity, but suffer periodic population collapse due to a lot of natural enemies. Fecundity is the main way for them to survive (r is the growing coefficient in a logistic equation). Examples : oysters, cods...

These considerations are relative, since there is no precise value to make a species absolutely K or r.

Correct. I know it has been pretty much tossed out due to its flaws but I think it is cute and gets the point across. Pachytriton are slow growing, and far from prolific based on the few breeding reports we have. Their high degree of territorialism probably means they live close to the carrying capacity of the streams they live in.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have three co that I've had for about 5 years...they get fat but never lay. Maybe they are three females. I think I'll try to find a male.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1