Megophrys nasuta

wouter

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I recently acquired three healthy (!) specimens of Megophrys nasuta. I've looked for species of this genus for a long time, so I was really glad when I finally got them. At least one is a male, which calls almost every evening.

Has anyone else longtime experience with these animals?

50069.jpg

50070.jpg

50071.jpg

We kept them at work for more than a decade but we had all males so I can't give you any breeding suggestions.

Ed

Freakin awesome, what are you keeping them in. Where did you aquire them?

I got them from a fellow amphibian enthousiast here in the Netherlands. I know about the males problem, it's the same as with most anurans; people catch them on sound of calling. I am afraid that I'm missing a male also, but we'll see...

I keep them in a similar setup as my Tylototriton, but with much more leaves on the bottom. In one corner of the setup is a small water area.

Hello Wouter.
It is nice to see those pictures finally. I am glad I saw the live when I was with you. I thought you obtained 4 Did you not get two pairs or is one missing as in escaped? Am I mistaken?

Hi Mark,
If you want to breed them dip the temp a few degrees at a time until they slow and stop eating, this will probably be around 15°C. A month or 2 of this should be enough to get them in condition.
Slowly raise the temp back to normal and start to spray with warm water, as they emerge feed heavily and then when the males start to call move them to a semi-aquatic set-up with a large water area. You will need to arrange lots of cork bark and rock flats to over hang the waters edge as this is where they will spawn.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • gemmie:
    Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in Australia
    +2
    Unlike
    gemmie: Hello I've been looking into axolotls and wasn't sure if it was even legal to get a pet one in... +2
    Back