Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Megophrys nasuta

Allison

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum. I have kept a male Megophrys for several years and finally managed to get 2 huge females just this week. They are not eating yet, but are in separate temporary setups, good body weight and look to be in fairly good condition so far. I don't have fresh fecals yet, but will get them done as soon as the ladies cooperate. Their setups range from 64-71 F, 65 to 80% humidity after misting. Unbleached paper towel substrates, shallow water pans, cork hides and some dried magnolia leaves. One or two large crix each, with some gutload in the setups so no one gets chewed.

I have a sort of basic frog biology question that I just can't find an answer to. I've mostly worked with true chameleons and leaftailed geckos. The dealer told me that at least one of the females has been in amplexus with males in his holding group, and that she has grown larger since. I don't introduce new herps to established ones for at least a month, but if she is full of mature eggs doesn't she need to lay them? Will she do this without being with the male? I realize the eggs wouldn't be fertilized, but am concerned that she will be at risk if she has to hang onto mature eggs for weeks. I can easily cover part of her water area with bark if this will encourage her to lay. The last thing I want is to lose her to ignorance. Any answers, advice or experience with this lovely frog would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

berksmike

Reaction score
I think I will try and get some of these myself.
Visited London Zoo at the weekend and they had the most spectacular specimen in the Reptile House.

Bert

Reaction score
Some frogs need to deposit their eggs, with our without male (e.g. common frogs (Rana temporaria)). Other species may keep the eggs for a prolonged period of time (until finding a mate or encountering suitable circumstances (habitat, climate,...)). I think I even read somewhere that some species might break down the eggs internally (not 100% sure, should find back that reference).

I have no idea for Megophrys, but I am interested in hearing how she ended up?

methodik

Reaction score
I doubt there will be an answer, this thread is 5 years old ;)

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
No idea why people always tend to dig so deep for these bury threads.
Theres enough going on in the present

Blackbun

Reaction score
As a new member to this forum, I love to delve right back into the old threads because they are a mine of outstanding information which just cannot be found else where on the web. Also, some questions are very specific and unlikely to be asked or referred to in a long while so these questions are not going to be found on the top of the forum.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!