Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Melanophryniscus stelzneri

A

alan

15847.jpg

Interested to hear from anyone else keeping these gorgeous  guys, especially with respect to substrate, furnishings, temperature and diet.

A

anthony

hi alan i have a pair of them I keep them in a small tank I use compost and small plant pots for them to hide in and a little shallow water dish they have good appetites for their size.
tony

andrew

Reaction score
I had one about three years ago. It died by the next morning. I bought it sick. Anyway, was wondering wher i could get some more now that i am better able to pick them. Plus want to know how to keep them.

andrew

Reaction score
Oh, those are mine. I managed to obtain three since I posted here. What a circle huh? Someone finally figures out who has them, and it turns out to be me. LOL.

han

Reaction score
A very good description, care-sheet and breeding-report on Melanophryniscus stelzneri at www.terratypica.ch (go to reports) by
Reto Siegenthaler. A Swiss site, so you need to
read German.

Han.

(Message edited by Han on December 22, 2005)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1