Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mesotriton alpestris Courtship & habitat

Molch

Reaction score
sweet. Great view of courtship. Is that your garden pond?

Those European birds in the background put me right back to my childhood when I roamed the German woods...sigh.... :D

I heard Amsel, Zilp-zalp, Buchfink, Elster, and more...)

Jeroen

Reaction score
No it's not in our garden. It's in the garden of a neigbour of ours. (Don't know them actually)
But it's a huge old very ugly house with a very small forest. The size is twice our garden (which isn't so small).
But the house has been for sale a pretty long time. And it is still for sale.

The pond is 10 meters from the edge of our garden so it's verry close. I hope i can convince my dad to make a pond of our own. I hope he agrees before a potential buyer buys the house and decides to remove/ destroy the pond. I guess there are about 50 specimen of Mesotriton Alpestris and i've seen 1 Lissotriton vulgaris.

Edit: The forest is behind me when i'm filming the pond at the end of the video...

Last edited:

evut

Reaction score
Am I the only one wondering how much the house + forest + pond + newts cost? It looks beautiful! ...must buy lottery ticket today...
BTW these newts are now called Ichthyosaura alpestris.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1