Metamorphasis!!!!

superfin

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Chris
Hello everyone:D. My baby fire bellied newts are growing up! I think metamorphasis has came on one of them and it's only a matter of time before the other 2 grow. Could someone give me some advise like: What equipment should I get? What setups shold I get? How long will it take for them to grow up? WHAT THE HECK SHOULD I DO?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Chris, I'm right there with you - our first baby just left the water today and I'm a nervous wreck. I am at work but wish I was at home as I hurriedly changed him into a terrestrial set-up at lunch w/ coco fiber and a shallow water dish, but I think I'll follow SludgeMunkey's lead and go with the tilted tank method described in Caudate Culture under reproduction/raising newts from eggs section.

Has yours left the water? Mine had his gills rapidly shrinking over the past few days and crawled out of the water today - I did lower the water level yesterday and put in more floating plants, extra aquarium things to aid it emerge from the water onto the turtle dock. He didn't seem interested in eating but Azhael said it's not that uncommon during the first week. He has been a wonderful help and has been through all of this many times, I believe.

Are you ready with food? What were feeding the larvae? I have white and blackworms as well as a variety of frozen foods.

Good luck - glad we can venture into this territory together!

Dana

Last edited:
Funny thing is i found a morph myself this morning, climbing the glass of my orientalis tank. Seems it´s a magical day xD

There a lots of different posts that cover most if not all your possible doubts about caring for the morphs, if you do a quick search you´ll find them, no problem. Anything else, just ask.
By the way, in addition to the whiteworms and blackworms mentioned, small earthworms(or small pieces) work fantastic and ensure the newts are receiving apropriate nutrition. Waxworms also work wonderfully as they are great to trigger a feeding response from the morphs and they are high in fat which helps them recover from all the stress of morphing.

Thanks guys:D. I have been giving the newtlets daphnia but I will give worms a try. Also I only just noticed a change today when I saw his gills and colouration differed from the rest of the newts. I will try what you said Dana about putting more stuff in the tank.

chris:wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
CONGRATS!

Three of mine climbed out in the last 6 hours...up to a total of 7 metamorphs now...it must be a great day for morphing!

Wow wednesday the 17th,Who would of thought that would be magic day:D

So yours is still in the water? As Azhael advised me yesterday, he will crawl out on his own when ready. If you think it's that close, be sure it can readily exit by putting in more plants and things to ease the transition. I did that yesterday and today he was out. As I said, he began shedding then which is continuing now, and the gills were getting noticeably smaller by the hour!

I think I need to look into waxworms. Seems like I read they are available in some pet stores. Mine are about 5 cm. in length which didn't seem alarmingly small when aquatic, but now he really seems so fragile...

Good luck and keep posting,
Dana

Mine have shedded now! And also wax worms are very easily found on the internet just type in live food in google and you get loads of results.Good luck to you to :D

chris:wacko:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back