Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Methylene Blue and Eggs

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
As I harvest up another batch of eggs this season, I am curious about other member's experiences with meth blue as a fungal preventative with caudate eggs. I used it with decent success back in my fish rearing days, but I am a bit leery of using it with amphibians.

Any thoughts and or experiences with this practice would be greatly appreciated. While I generally do not have fungus issues with my egg layers, never before have I had eggs that were not in 1200+ size batches or of such a precious nature. (To date, I have not had any issues at all other than non-viable eggs "getting fuzzy", but I would like to be prepared just in case the issue may arise.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I've never tried it on caudates (haven't had an issue to date) but I have used it with great success on my dart frog eggs.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I'm curious to how he determined it weakened larva?

A good guess. Anecdotal evidence. When I used Methylene blue prophylactically I seemed to get better yields without it. Tadpoles and larvae sometimes became stained and did not thrive.
Lately I've taken to using alder cones for fungus prevention in eggs. Some make a tea from the cones. Some just plop cones in with the eggs.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Michael, have you tried blackwater extract? I've been using it in my larvae's water recently and haven't had any fungal issues.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I havn't tried blackwater extract lately. I have a couple bags of alder cones I picked up at aquarium club and have been using them if things look a little funky. Their are a number of extracts and teas that should work well as fungusides. Lots of fish and frog people use almond leaves.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!