Misc mudpuppy questions

Markgilst

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all,

My mudpuppy's doing great and all but I've had a few random questions about how I can take care of him better. He's in a 20g long tank with minnows that he'll occasionally eat and a few ghost shrimp and a hide-out that he stays in during the summer months and he seems totally fine. However I've been thinking of some things including
- Other foods he can eat (can I feed him pink shrimp from the store?)
- Possible transportation (how could I import him out of the state if not country?)
- Growth (will the 20g stunt his growth? he's about 10-12 in. but would he be able to grow larger possibly?)
These are the main questions I've had for a while now but if there's any more things I want answered I'll post them. Can any necturus (or aquatic sal experts in general maybe?) answer them please? :happy:

Nightcrawlers are a good food item that aren't too hard to get. I've never gotten any of mine to eat non-living food, though others may have.

When I moved mine, I had them in 5 gallon buckets by themselves. If possible, keep them as cool as you can; some ice may help (around the bucket, not in it). Moving in the summer may be really tough since it'll get too hot; don't try this unless you absolutely have to. They don't tend to move well at all, and stress often leads to fungal infections that can be fatal in some cases.

Honestly, I'd try to get a 55 or larger. They grow pretty slowly, though, but they're big animals and benefit from a large tank.

The reason I was wondering shrimp is because I want to feed him a little more often because he usually only snags a few minnows in bursts, once every one or two weeks. I also was wondering if the shrimp would be toxic to him especially if I repeatedly froze and thawed it. As for housing, I'll look into bigger tanks if possible. I've had him for nearly 3 years in the 20. He's a pretty tough guy. How would I be able to carry him on a plane or something? I have little knowledge of transporting animals long distance lol so if you know, please fulfill me on this.

still wondering if i can feed him frozen shrimp, clams, etc so bump

I've gotten a few of mine to eat various pellets and a few non live foods like raw liver/pork/beef. I avoid using raw meat in general because it can get messy. Naturally they eat many crustaceons and fish. Adult Necturus have had a few crayfish in belly when dissected so feeding shrimp shouldn't be an issue. I've personally used crayfish to feed adult Necturus an they swallow them whole.

Keeping 1 adult in a 20 gallon long should be fine but going bigger sounds even better. About growth rate in a smaller tank size, they might be affected by the size of the tank so getting a larger tank is a good idea. Full grown adults are about 13-15 inches small adults are 10-12 inches. Best foods I'd say are earthworms and small fish. Noticed a good growth spurt feeding heavily with worms and fish. But finding a good source of fish is an issue for most people, pet store fish feeders are no good.

I usually get my minnows from PetSmart or Petco and they've been the staple of his diet lately, along with crickets that I feed him using chopsticks. He's gotten really good at ambushing fish lately. When I first bought him I would feed him mostly earthworms but sometimes they'd get lost in the tank and it was starting to get monotonous for him so I started varying his diet. As for his growth, I'm wondering if it could be stunted if he spends a lot of time in his cave keeping him accommodated to smaller spaces, even if there is a decent amount of space in the cave.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back